Molting in New England

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Egghead_Jr, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Hey all you northern climate chooks. We've had our birds for a year now and are raising up a new flock. I was wondering when you have noticed month/s of molt here? I asked a friend if he remembered from when he had chickens and all he could say was when it gets hot. Trying to determine when we'll be getting rid of the older girls. If sooner or later, I'd not want to pass them on to someone during their molt then again I don't really want to feed them through molt to then get rid of them. Would you say August in northern climate is typical start of molt? or mid July?

2. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    my RIR's molt from late August until October easily. Your results may vary......

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Chickens don't moult based on climate, it is based on age and their production cycle. Some will moult in fall and others in spring. In my experience, it is more typical in fall when sunlight is declining which tells them to put their lay cycle to rest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by