Molting in spring

happyhencamper

Songster
Sep 25, 2020
One of my 4 year old hens Easter egger/Americana? Is molting here in June. I am in Massachusetts and it has been a cool June. Wouldn’t think much of it but others in the flock of 12 are starting to look a bit ruffled. A 7 year old and a 2 year old. Is it normal for molting to happen this early and to several in the flock. They normally look beautiful. I am seeing the tiny pieces of sheath below perches like the fall molt and white feathers everywhere. Feathers everywhere just from one. The others mentioned just look ruffled.

Not sure how to add to my own thread but they preen a lot early morning and evening which I think is normal right? I haven’t checked for mites not sure how. I dust coop with diatomaceous earth every 2 weeks or so. They have tires with sand, ash and diatomaceous earth that they dust in regularly and free range once a week digging holes and dusting in the yard. I have not noticed much reduction in eggs. I do not use artificial light in winter. I wormed with safe guard goat wormer in late April early May. Can the worming cause early molt/ruffled feathers?

I haven’t checked for mites not sure how.
My Bug Check notes:
Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

I dust coop with diatomaceous earth every 2 weeks or so.
Save your money, this will not prevent pests.

Not sure how to add to my own thread but they preen a lot early morning and evening which I think is normal right? I haven’t checked for mites not sure how. I dust coop with diatomaceous earth every 2 weeks or so. They have tires with sand, ash and diatomaceous earth that they dust in regularly and free range once a week digging holes and dusting in the yard. I have not noticed much reduction in eggs. I do not use artificial light in winter. I wormed with safe guard goat wormer in late April early May. Can the worming cause early molt/ruffled feathers?
I have 3 barred rocks and they also started molting in June. I was told it is normal for a spring "soft molt" and then a full molt in late fall. I also checked for illness, mites etc.

It's a molt I have feathers everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom