Molting More than Usual

WildACDmom

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 26, 2012
We have 2 girls who are molting more than usual. They have patches where all the feathers have come out and are now growing back in. They are eating well and appear healthy but have stopped laying. It's winter here and the darker shorter days could be the issue there. I don't see any mites or other issues...but obviously I'm missing something since they are under some sort of stress and something is wrong. Any ideas where I start?

Some molts are really awful, but they seem to handle them pretty well, anyway. You can give them extra protein, as feathers are largely protein, to help them regrow new ones. They don't need the extra calcium in layer during a molt as they won't lay or will lay very little, so a switch to (or supplement of) game bird feed is one approach. Obviously, meaty table scraps are good.

Here is a thread of some pretty striking molts; perhaps yours aren't quite as bad as they look in comparison:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/394556/official-contest-worst-chicken-molt-pictures-winner

Back
Top Bottom