Molting Mystery?

Peristeria

Songster
Jul 4, 2020
One of my ladies recently molted and I didn't think anything of it until I thought she was a boy because of her feathers! Is this the male color morph on her or am I just really used to having her be super speckled? (Sorry I was looking for a before picture but it appears I have none.) You can still see a few speckles left on her.
1603625926800.png

Attachments

• 1603626120461.png
    1603626120461.png
    551.1 KB · Views: 5
Are you sure that's a hen, because that breast looks an awful lot like a boy to me. Have you gotten eggs from it? Have you vent sexed?

Yep! I was so confused too because I have seen her lay eggs before and all of our males are white or grey. It is so weird! Is this normal??

Several of my girls just changed their pattern slightly when molting to winter plumage. Many of them got more red and lost spots, so it may just be she’s going for a new look and might molt out of the red feathers eventually too.

Several of my girls just changed their pattern slightly when molting to winter plumage. Many of them got more red and lost spots, so it may just be she’s going for a new look and might molt out of the red feathers eventually too.
Haha yes I was wondering if it was a 'winter coat.' Do they molt in the spring? We just hatched these guys in late April. First time, yay!

Haha yes I was wondering if it was a 'winter coat.' Do they molt in the spring? We just hatched these guys in late April. First time, yay!
Similar story to my current quail, this is their first adult winter plumage. They actually spend their first summer laying in juvenile plumage. I’m not sure how much they molt in spring but they do indeed molt, I think males regain their dark facial feathers.
Check under your quails’ wings if they’ll let you. During summer it’s this gross pink naked patch for brooding. In winter it’s the softest down fluff I’ve ever felt!

Similar story to my current quail, this is their first adult winter plumage. They actually spend their first summer laying in juvenile plumage. I’m not sure how much they molt in spring but they do indeed molt, I think males regain their dark facial feathers.
Check under your quails’ wings if they’ll let you. During summer it’s this gross pink naked patch for brooding. In winter it’s the softest down fluff I’ve ever felt!
Do you have buttons or coturnix? One of mine had one of those nasty brood patch things but I never saw her brood because I was on vacation :barnie. Are these the result of brooding or are they just regular for the females? I reaaaally want one to go broody but they're on wire so I don't think they ever will . If I could just figure out how to let the super heavy cage onto the ground then I would let them out daily but since its too heavy to move I can't.
If you do have coturnix, do they ever go broody for you? Do you have to separate them so others don't disturb them or can they fend for themselves?

Do you have buttons or coturnix? One of mine had one of those nasty brood patch things but I never saw her brood because I was on vacation :barnie. Are these the result of brooding or are they just regular for the females? I reaaaally want one to go broody but they're on wire so I don't think they ever will . If I could just figure out how to let the super heavy cage onto the ground then I would let them out daily but since its too heavy to move I can't.
If you do have coturnix, do they ever go broody for you? Do you have to separate them so others don't disturb them or can they fend for themselves?
I only have cots. The brood patch is just a summer feature I think, helps keep them cool in the heat too I assume. A couple of mine sit on the egg a for five minutes or so, sometimes tossing straw around or stealing eggs that are already laid. They always get up and leave afterwards. Definitely keeping them on soil is necessary for nesting, if I made a separate pen with a lot of hiding spots I could probably convince one of my hens to brood, this year I think she is just too young.

Back
Top Bottom