molting? or something bad?? help :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by buffbuttercup, Jul 13, 2011.

1. buffbuttercup

buffbuttercup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Oregon
    my easter-egger girl is about 1.5 years old and has gotten 'quiet' and is dropping a lot of feathers. she hasn't laid in over 2 weeks and we are getting worried. i have never seen a chicken molt so i don't know what it looks like, or how it affects the hen. alice is one of our favorites. she seems slightly under weight. i made her a yummy plate of yogurt, scrambled egg and a little (chicken [​IMG] ) and she ate a little egg but that was it. is this a molt or something more? has anyone else experienced these symptoms? i'm still relatively new to chickens, i still have lots to learn. thanx in advance for any help!

2. looptloop

looptloop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Pilot Hill, CA
    Has she been wormed? I'd also check her all over really well for mites or lice. When someone gets punky here these are the things I do first.....

3. buffbuttercup

buffbuttercup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Oregon
    no worming, i'll try and catch her to check for parasites - she was our FRIENDLIEST chicken so her not coming to us is a sure sign something aint right. poor girl [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by