1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Molting......or something else???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gabby3535, Oct 13, 2010.

1. gabby3535

gabby3535 Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my hens is missing feathers on her back, under her wings, and on the 'shoulder' area of her wings.......
    here's a few pics of her.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She is the ONLY hen who looks like this.......
    she is eating, drinking, pooping, and acting fine...she has 3 1/2 week old chicks, was broody for about 4 weeks, and does not have
    mites...........but she is the only one!
    Is she doing this to herself?
    Is this what molting looks like?
    When chickens molt.....do they pull their own feathers out, or is someone else 'picking on' her?
    Help.........?

2. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Pictures don't look like a molt since they seem pretty isolated. If it was just her back, I'd suggest an over zealous roo. Let's see what others suggest.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Looks like she is in a molt. Just depends on the chicken as to how heavy a molt they go thru, usually if they are older than a year and a half they molt harder. They don't pull out the feathers when they molt they just fall out.

Give her some extra protein in the form of scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, moist cat food, sunflower seeds to help her get thru it. It usually takes a month or two to grow in the new feathers. She probably won't start laying again for awhile either even if she was broody. The loss of feathers on her back could be also from rooster treading to mate with her but looks like she is getting those back in if she was broody for awhile.

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    My broody generally goes into a more impressive molt than all the other hens. I think it is the stress from being broody triggers a harder molt. She does look like she's molting, but I also think she's molting in those particular areas because of feather damage caused by a rooster.

5. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    It's molting. A couple of my hens look worst than that. When chickens molt, they get itchy.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  6. gabby3535

I am the original poster of this question, and just an FYI.......I don't have a roo.....

7. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    Quote:Agreed! You can see the feathers coming back in already.

8. gabby3535

Bump......hopefully, for more replies.

9. clucker's r us

clucker's r us Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2010
    el cajon, ca.
    I'd say your roo as well, to generalized! have you tried giving extra protein? I give em dry cat fud, baby food, cooked meat, even with the bones they love to pick the meat off em! their eggs if not fertilized.... hope this helps! good luck with her, but i think she'll be good, itchy but fine![​IMG]

10. mom2to

mom2to Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2010
    harrison
    all my chickens look like this and have stopped laying. i say molting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by