Molting & Pecking

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrsgibber, Oct 17, 2009.

1. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    I have two pullets that I thought were going through their first molts. Both of their under belly's to their vents are now feather free. One has been this way for a few weeks and now another one is the same.

What I am not sure about is if they are actually molting or are they being pecked....I caught one of the other pullets pecking the new naked girl yesterday. I've never seen her do that to the other one before.

Is she just discovering pecking now that they are molting or do you think she pecked both girls clean?

Also, what do I use on the girls to get the other one to stop pecking? Blue Kote????

2. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Chillin' With My Peeps

Better check for mites and lice. A broody hen sometimes picks the feathers off her belly, but when it is from being picked on by other chickens, it is usually going to be the back feathers.

3. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    i found most of the feathers in the nest box so maybe she is a little broody. I've checked for lice an mites and don't see any signs of that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by