Molting question

Luckyt21

Songster
Apr 4, 2022
Pine River, Minnesota
Is it normal for chickens to have their first molt in January in cold Minnesota or has there been feather picking going on? I have 15 chickens (11 hens & 4 silkie roosters). 1 of the hens is missing a lot of feathers on her neck. Another has some bald spots on her head. 2 others look like they are thinning feathers where the neck meets the breast area. All 4 Silkie boys have lost cheek & beard feathers. What can I do to get them growing back so they stay warm?

They are all 10 months old.
I have 1 having her first molt now, but she is 20 months old. We are in northeast Pennsylvania. It’s the worst molt I’ve ever seen too. She is nearly naked. She is not bonded with any other hens to snuggle with and I don’t believe she would have survived this recent cold. She was shivering and her feet felt like ice cubes. I brought her inside for 2 days to get past the cold, and am now thinking about posting to figure out how to acclimate her back out so the flock doesn’t forget her. To me, 10 months seems too young to molt being that it’s winter. None of my nine month old hens have molted this year. I only have 6 that are that age. I’m wondering if there is a problem? I don’t think it’s very common for a bunch of hens to molt at this time. Maybe a rare one here and there?

I have 1 having her first molt now, but she is 20 months old. We are in northeast Pennsylvania. It’s the worst molt I’ve ever seen too. She is nearly naked. She is not bonded with any other hens to snuggle with and I don’t believe she would have survived this recent cold. She was shivering and her feet felt like ice cubes. I brought her inside for 2 days to get past the cold, and am now thinking about posting to figure out how to acclimate her back out so the flock doesn’t forget her. To me, 10 months seems too young to molt being that it’s winter. None of my nine month old hens have molted this year. I only have 6 that are that age. I’m wondering if there is a problem? I don’t think it’s very common for a bunch of hens to molt at this time. Maybe a rare one here and there?

How did your hen do after that bad molt inside?
I have found that it’s best to bring them out to the coop at night works the most peacefully. Then in the morning I sit with them to make sure the others aren’t picking on her & bring them back inside if they start to get picked on.

I think mine are picking each others feathers after watching them. They are starting to grow back in it seems. The other possibility is that they are picking out their own feathers. They were just diagnosed with gapeworm & I’m guessing they have had these since fall without my knowing.

I haven’t seen any pest externally but I also have bad eyesight. I think I should dust them with poultry pest dust after I get the coop & run cleaned out. It’s too cold here to spray them.

How did your hen do after that bad molt inside?
I have found that it’s best to bring them out to the coop at night works the most peacefully. Then in the morning I sit with them to make sure the others aren’t picking on her & bring them back inside if they start to get picked on.

I think mine are picking each others feathers after watching them. They are starting to grow back in it seems. The other possibility is that they are picking out their own feathers. They were just diagnosed with gapeworm & I’m guessing they have had these since fall without my knowing.

I haven’t seen any pest externally but I also have bad eyesight. I think I should dust them with poultry pest dust after I get the coop & run cleaned out. It’s too cold here to spray them.
She is still inside molting. She’s been in for 2 days. Feathers everywhere in my house! Thank goodness she stays in the kitchen/dining room and on the floor. She grumbles when I make her go in the cage at night. It is too cold at night to bring her out right now. I’m thinking of putting her outside for a couple of hours at the warmest part of each day and then letting her go onto the roost so she doesn’t get forgotten. But then when it’s dark, bring her back in again. Have to be sooo careful touching her though, all covered in pin feathers. I’m keeping my house at 60 degrees so the difference isn’t too extreme. It’s supposed to warm up to 48 degrees outside today.

Mine did have lice once years ago. It was really gross. Did you check the feather shafts near their butts for them? I don’t remember it causes feather loss though.

Back
Top Bottom