Molting season? Is that why fewer eggs

FireGurl26

Chirping
May 4, 2016
U.P. Michigan
My girls are 22 weeks and just started laying around 20 weeks old. I am only getting a few eggs now each day. Weather been on the cooler side here in the U.P. Is it time for molting and with weather getting cooler, are they slowing down on eggs because of this?

Also...my other breeds will be getting to be laying age in about 2 weeks. Do you think they will lay any eggs because of the season changing to fall or should i just expect them not to lay?

My youngest breeds will be laying age near the middle of November. I am assuming I won't see any eggs from these girls.

Anyone have any insight on late season egglayers. Thanks.

I think it might be that your birds aren't in the swing of things yet when it comes to laying. Young chickens usually don't molt until their second autumn so obviously yours are not there yet. Shortened days...less daylight...also will curtail production. 14 hours is required for regular production. They will still lay in the winter but production will be reduced. This is why some chicken keepers add light to the coop...to keep them laying through the darker months. Others use this as a time of rest for the birds and do not add light.

I think it might be that your birds aren't in the swing of things yet when it comes to laying. Young chickens usually don't molt until their second autumn so obviously yours are not there yet. Shortened days...less daylight...also will curtail production. 14 hours is required for regular production. They will still lay in the winter but production will be reduced. This is why some chicken keepers add light to the coop...to keep them laying through the darker months. Others use this as a time of rest for the birds and do not add light.
Hay thanks for the info. I did not know that chickens don't molt until second fall. Probably, like you said, is the shorter days for less eggs. We don't get that much sunlight up here. I won't be adding extra artificial light...i already decided to let them rest before I aquired the chickens. Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom