1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Molting .....seeing lots of feathers.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by M.sue, Jul 27, 2011.

1. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Good morning,
    My chicks are 16 1/2 wks. old and it seems that there are a lot of feathers around the coop. I cleaned it it out the other day so I know some are from the cleaning job. My question, at what age do they molt, doesn't that occur usually in the spring/fall? I have seem my Bantam Roo get after the girls once in a while but nothing serious or out of ordinary Roo behavior. Been reading ,maybe they need more protein. They are finishing up a bag of grower/finisher feed and will be onto the next stage in about a couple of weeks or less. Any replys would be appreciated and helpful!!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Check this article for juvenile molts. I think what you are seeing is their last juvenile molt before they become adults. Mine tend to do that around 13 to 14 weeks, but I seldom see anything consistent with chickens. They all seem to do their own thing.

Kansas State feather loss
    http://www.ksre.ksu.edu/library/lvstk2/mf2308.pdf

3. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Thanks I'll check it out when I get time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by