Molting Time=More Quiet Hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrsbos, Oct 16, 2011.

1. mrsbos

mrsbos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Greenacres, WA
    I haven't gotten a single egg from my 3 hens for 2 weeks now and my yard/porch/chicken coop is covered in feathers [​IMG] . On the other hand, it has been much quieter at my house over the last couple of weeks. With no eggs, there is no egg song (I personally love the egg song, but it makes me nervous with the chicken hating neighbors). Aside from the egg song, my girls also just seem much quieter overall. Much less random daily BAWKING lately.

Have you noticed your girls are less noisy overall during molting? They are also acting strange in random ways. They are less affectionate, and Chickie made noises (soft clucking type) which I'd never heard before, when I gave her some mealworms the other day. Their appetite for their chicken crumbles seems way down as well (they free range so they have plenty of plants/bugs to choose from so I knwo they aren't starving).

2. 100AcreFarm

100AcreFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    Come to think of it, mine are all molting but one and it's been very quiet. The only egg song I hear is from the neighbors chickens, one of whom has started laying on the floor of my skid-loader...odd thing! My silverlaced wyandotte that IS laying is very silent about her business. The coop looks like someone shot a feather bed and I'm not getting enough eggs to keep the 2 of us in weekly omelets!

I miss my eggs and the sweet chickie chatter! [​IMG]

3. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    I don't think they feel very well during the early molt. I often find the molting hens in the nest boxes over night. If they don't feel well, they probably don't feel like talking [​IMG]

4. kingsfarm

kingsfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Mine have been molting for a few weeks...there is NOTHING wrong with their appetite, in fact I think it is up- up- up....The only difference I really notice is NO EGGS...they are all happy, non stressed but NO EGGS.. feathers all over the place...chickens in another small area I have have now started molting too...they are 5 mos. (pullets) a roo (7Mo)..none look like a "shot at and hit " chicken but the feathers are all over... They all really need a break before winter comes in so its OK with me... still get the one or two eggs a day...better than none....went through this last year also it does end....hang in there,.,....it will get better.....as all things do in time.... A predator killed 24 of my pullets so had to move the entire flock TOGETHER for safety sake..they were stressed and went into molt but they got along great...only a few tussells but they have their own little clicks and stay that way...have about 40 in a hen house with covered fenced coop attached...gradually they are moving into hen house (about 30 now) am happy about that. means they are truly CALM and are tolerating each other....Yea......Sorry to go on & on just wanted to share with someone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by