Molting Under 1 Year of Age?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Beakner, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Beakner

Beakner Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2010
    Folks,

I really need your help regarding two of my hens, a Barred Rock and a Rhode Island Red.

Both birds stopped laying at the same time this summer and seven weeks have passed since their last egg.

They are both slightly under one year of age. Are they more than likely molting? I have two Golden Comets, both of them older, and they lay on a very consistent basis.

Could it be the heat? I have to admit a little frustration here. I should mention they are both in good health and as active as they've always been.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    It is hot. Check for mites and lice at night with a flashlight to be sure, but it is probably just too hot.

I have a TON of chickens, and am getting ~4 eggs a day right now.

3. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Quote:Same for us, still get a few eggs daily, but we have allot of hens....

4. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Have your chickens ever had a respiratory condition of any kind? I'm asking because I had early molting thing happen last year along with several other problems. After more than a year of trying to figure out what was happening with my chickens, a necropsy resulted in my chickens having had Infections Bronchitis several months before issues started to surface. Early, partial, molt was listed in the information the vet gave me about IBV.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by