Molting

FT Chickens

Songster
Jul 4, 2018
Ohio
Hello all. I think my Buff Orpington are starting to molt (losing feathers and no egg production). My question is, is it worth while to keep these chickens with no egg production or order new chicks and start from scratch?

That's a decision you have to make - whether to feed non-productive birds.
The dearth of eggs is only temporary. They'll likely resume laying after winter solstice and do so for many years.
However, if you get chicks, they won't start laying till after when the adults start laying.
If continuous laying is important, get a few new pullets every year so you'll always have some in their first year of laying.

Chickens molt every year. They resume laying eventually. If you order new chicks now they won't be laying any sooner than the ones molting now.

It is always good to have chickens of different ages in your flock so you have some sort of rotation going and hopefully not all are molting at once. It really depends on your goals.

That's a decision you have to make - whether to feed non-productive birds.
The dearth of eggs is only temporary. They'll likely resume laying after winter solstice and do so for many years.
However, if you get chicks, they won't start laying till after when the adults start laying.
If continuous laying is important, get a few new pullets every year so you'll always have some in their first year of laying.
Thanks. Wish I had room to get some pullets. That is a good idea

Back
Top Bottom