Molting

Tonjadan222

In the Brooder
Sep 11, 2017
Hi just wondering if anyone else has noticed when their chicks are molting they eat way less than usual? I’m trying to feed extra protein to help with their feathers:extra crickets mealworms and a mixed bug assortment and it’s all going to waste. I also make them a platter with fresh greens and cabbages And other treats every morning and they usually eat it all up.instead I’m throwing most of it away lately. I’m not sure if it’s because there are molting?

Hi just wondering if anyone else has noticed when their chicks are molting they eat way less than usual? I’m trying to feed extra protein to help with their feathers:extra crickets mealworms and a mixed bug assortment and it’s all going to waste. I also make them a platter with fresh greens and cabbages And other treats every morning and they usually eat it all up.instead I’m throwing most of it away lately. I’m not sure if it’s because there are molting?
I hope you are giving them an all flock crumble or pellets too. that sounds like a lot of treats to me. But, yes, now that you mention it, it seems like my girls are eating less right now too. I didn't put it together.

Agree it's probably due to molting, however sounds like an awful lot of treats. I learned the hard way ... They need their feed more than the veggies, extra protein right now is helpful with their molt. Remember their feed is nutritionally balanced, adding "treats" no matter how "healthy" they are, will off set the nutrition from their feed. Treats should not be more than 10% of their diet.

I’m trying to feed extra protein to help with their feathers:extra crickets mealworms and a mixed bug assortment and it’s all going to waste. I also make them a platter with fresh greens and cabbages And other treats every morning and they usually eat it all up.

Stop feeding the platter and just feed them their feed, there's your extra protein. What is the protein % in the feed you are feeding?

Gah Henny 1/8 cup?
Seriously, do you know what would happen if I went out with an 8th cup of anything edible....you are so much more ballsy than i'll ever be.
Then again you may just be crackers.:gig
Mine are jolting and eating less too.

I agree that is a lot of treats.

My poor birds get just 1/8th cup of scratch each a day and fish a couple times a week.

Gah Henny 1/8 cup?
Seriously, do you know what would happen if I went out with an 8th cup of anything edible....you are so much more ballsy than i'll ever be.
Then again you may just be crackers.:gig

It is 1/8th cup for each bird.....maybe I worded it badly up there. :hmm

I do a toss and run too. :lau

I have a few hens that give me that wanting to peck my eyes out look though. :rolleyes:
Today I go get them some goodies from the store. I will get them a cantaloupe and some grapes. I cannot eat either of those so it is a special trip just for them. :p

I miss being by able to let them roam the yard. Stinking hawks like hanging about this year. All goodies must be hand delivered.

Whew, per bird is a little better.:th
It is 1/8th cup for each bird.....maybe I worded it badly up there. :hmm

I do a toss and run too. :lau

I have a few hens that give me that wanting to peck my eyes out look though. :rolleyes:
Today I go get them some goodies from the store. I will get them a cantaloupe and some grapes. I cannot eat either of those so it is a special trip just for them. :p

I miss being by able to let them roam the yard. Stinking hawks like hanging about this year. All goodies must be hand delivered.

One of my barred rocks is molting now and her appetite was way down the first couple weeks, I even thought she was sick, and she was a little lethargic. But now that I see pin feathers coming in everywhere, she is eating me out of the house and seems to be feeling back to her old self, chasing the others out of "her" feed bin. She just looks so pitiful and raggedy. I agree, I stuck to high protein feed and laid off treats for a while.

Back
Top Bottom