Molting

Deegroovy

Hatching
Feb 6, 2022
My silver Wyndotte molted along with her sister in October. I’m not sure which one molted first but The other chicken grew her feathers back within a few weeks. I thought maybe it could be mites or lice
I cleaned the coop and treated all the chickens, gave everybody lots of worms, and even was cooking eggs for them. This chicken was out side basically freezing to death so I brought her in three weeks ago, I’ve been feeding her grub worms I’ve been cooking her eggs, and she still won’t go back her feathers. Any ideas? Also her skin color is very yellowish kind of like jaundice. When I brought her in my house three weeks ago I thought she was actually going to die. She eats good, drinks good. I am absolutely clueless at this point.

Attachments

• 3B57034A-80A8-4956-83EA-59AC7562C56A.jpeg
    3B57034A-80A8-4956-83EA-59AC7562C56A.jpeg
    581.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 50B4B715-52AA-4666-807B-56F2A7ED59CF.jpeg
    50B4B715-52AA-4666-807B-56F2A7ED59CF.jpeg
    623.2 KB · Views: 3
Are you feeding a nutritionally balance poultry feed? What is it?
Have you ever had any illness in your flock - Marek's, Avian Leucosis?
Did you deworm during molt? If you did, what did you use?

Photos of what she looked like before molt?

Silver Laced Wyandottes have yellow skin and legs.

Im feeding them Medesto organic Layer pellets. They also get scratch as treats. They free range on my 20 acres. I’ve had some chickens molt down to nothing but then grow their feathers back in a timely matter. She lives with 10 other chickens whom are healthy. I have not dewormed lately and they haven’t had any diseases
Here is what she normally looks like.
I’m so puzzled. She is eating and drinking so good. I hope she is not suffering.

Attachments

• 39408A35-EBDA-4097-9161-C9CD4FF69CAF.jpeg
    39408A35-EBDA-4097-9161-C9CD4FF69CAF.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
Im feeding them Medesto organic Layer pellets. They also get scratch as treats. They free range on my 20 acres. I’ve had some chickens molt down to nothing but then grow their feathers back in a timely matter. She lives with 10 other chickens whom are healthy. I have not dewormed lately and they haven’t had any diseases
Here is what she normally looks like.
I’m so puzzled. She is eating and drinking so good. I hope she is not suffering.
I would try offering extra protein - this can be egg, fish, meat or providing her a 20% protein chick starter or all flock feed. Direct dose her with poultry vitamins 2-3 times a week as well.
I'm not sure what's causing the feather issue, but I would start with nutritional support and see what happens.

I would try offering extra protein - this can be egg, fish, meat or providing her a 20% protein chick starter or all flock feed. Direct dose her with poultry vitamins 2-3 times a week as well.
I'm not sure what's causing the feather issue, but I would start with nutritional support and see what happens.
I’ve been giving her worms and feeding her eggs. She is in my house, because it has been a cold February here, sometimes getting around 29° At night I didn’t think about vitamins, thank you.
Yes, so confusing it was actually her first molt.
I always try to feed the girls extra protein when they’re molting, making a point to see that they are eating the worms/eggs. Or I should say making sure the others didn’t eat it all before they get some.
One reason I had to bring her in the house is because normally the chickens all nestle together to keep each other warm, heck they do it during the summer. But she kept herself separated, like knowing that she was sick and didn’t want to be picked up. So she was freezing to death.
Thank you for your suggestions, I really appreciate it
So today will make the fourth week that she’s been in the house, so she’s been getting lots of protein and just good food. Usually, after the initial molt, they should have their feathers back by the fourth week.

Thank you for your suggestions. Much appreciated.

Can you tell if those feathers are still surrounded by a keratin sheath? She may just need an opportunity to take several dust baths to get all that off. IF the sheaths are still intact.

Most all my molting birds isolate, they don't want to be touched. I've had birds in molt in cold temps, but sometimes they do need some TLC.

Back
Top Bottom