molting

winstonsgrrrl

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 10, 2009
Ohio
I just got my quail on sunday, and I've got 3 goldens among them. Two of them are definitely molting. The third had a healing wound on his bald head. I noticed Tuesday that he (I think it's a he) was missing feathers all the way around his neck, so I isolated him. Is he getting picked on, or is he just molting as well? Also, he hasnt crowed or anything since I've had him inside. So I guess I have no idea what "Craig" is.

Is there any way that you could post some pics? Need just a little more info to help you out.
Do you have any more quail other than these three? Were you trying to incorporate these in with others that you have? What is your male/female ratio? Could I assume that all the quail that you have are Coturnix? Mixing species of quail could be BAD!!
Going on what you have said so far, if the little guy had a head wound the others might be picking at that and pulling the feathers out around his neck. Separate him like you did and give him a little time to heal. If he is the only roo you have, getting him back into the group will not be as bad as trying to put him back if other roos have already established a "pecking order".

Quote:
YEAH WHAT SHE SAID.....

OR IT COULD BE A HEN AND THEY'VE MATED HER SO MUCH SHE'S GETTING FEATHERS PULLED OUT. THE PIC WILL SHOW SEX IN GOLDENS-- WE NEED TO SEE THE FRONT OF ITS CHEST...

He seems to be doing well. I put him back in with the rest yesterday. Now that half of my flock is gone thanks to a racoon that visited Thursday night, I'm hoping he'll be picked on less (if that was in fact his issue).

Back
Top Bottom