1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Molting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beeksnfeet, Sep 7, 2014.

1. beeksnfeet

beeksnfeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    IL/WI border
    Do all chickens molt? When they do, I know they stop laying, but is there anything special any of you do for your girls to help them in their time of need? :)

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I have BO's and BR's all 18 months old, most going thru a soft molt for weeks, but all still laying normally. This is our first adult molt..the first was when they went from chicks to pullets. Didn't expect molt to start in August, but apparently late summer to fall is the usual time.

There is a feed supposed to help with the protein losses - Feather Fixer - but I am just giving my girls some extra protein in their treats - cooked eggs and their favorite…dried mealy worms.

3. beeksnfeet

Jun 29, 2012
    IL/WI border

Thanks for your input. This is the first molt for our girls too. A few more feathers laying around and their butts are not as fluffy as they usually are. But they good and still want to be held and petted. Guess I'll just have to wait and see about the laying. Season change is coming quick to our area, getting darker earlier so I guess it could be the start of that too! Thanks!

4. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

A little extra protein could help.

Do a search on fermenting feeds.

LOTS of information.

In my opinion, one of the best nutritional asset to give your birds.

5. beeksnfeet

Jun 29, 2012
    IL/WI border

I will! Thanks :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by