Mom gave them a bag of raw brown rice-help!

redfeather

Songster
9 Years
Oct 28, 2010
Ok, so today my mom mentioned that something got into the rice so she had it taken out to the chickens---- on Tuesday.

I was in the coop tonight and noticed my RIR hen and a few others had bulgy and unbalanced looking crops. I felt them and could feel the rice in there.

What do I do? I was going to try adding water to their layer mash and mixing in some olive oil and yogurt to entice them and hopefully get some probiotics but I honestly don't know.

If I have to I do have a scalpel and superglue but id really rather avoid that if possible.

Any help?

I have never had occasion to feed them raw rice.
I don't think that you have to worry if they were in the wild they would eat it.
Just my opinion.

I have never had occasion to feed them raw rice.
I don't think that you have to worry if they were in the wild they would eat it.
Just my opinion.

I don't think 14 wild chickens often get handed 20lbs of dried brown basmati .

Some if their crops are still overly massive

I don't think 14 wild chickens often get handed 20lbs of dried brown basmati .

Some if their crops are still overly massive
I don't think that they would find 20lbs. either. But rice is just a seed and I still think they are ok. The rice cant swell up unless you boil it so no chance of that. I would take the attitude that this will pass.

I wasn't even concerned until I saw and felt humongous bulging crops. I'm still watching to see if they will be ok, but some of them have huge oddly shaped rock hard crops which is why I am here.

I'm concerned that th chickens that ate so much cannot take in enough water to dilute the starches enough as it feels like they've all bound together in a huge softball sized mass.

Hi I'm so sorry this happened! You can try offering a little oil or oil some melon or grapes to get the oil inside the crop then gently massage the crop and hopefully it will pass. but if they were mine I'd certainly try the oil.! My birds crop was not emptying at night and I offered oil and a nice massage and it went down! Hopefully it will work on your chickens too! Keep us updated on how it goes. If there crops are rock hard as you say the oil and massage will hopefully get them moving again. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom