Mom isn't really SITTING on her babies/afraid they will freeze (update

Peaches

Chirping
14 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Stanwood, Wa.
Ok.. poor mom, WIERD HATCH. about 38 days. One hatched sunday, one Monday, one WED.. She did this in the chicken coop in a hen nest off the floor. When I got home today (wed) I KNEW I would remove her .. poor thing hasn't been off the nest. She was STANDING in the nest (oh and four days ago an egg EXPLODED under her). ONe baby dead.. she might have stepped on it. five eggs not hatched.. no good... she is "standing" and eggs are cold.

I move her and the two ducks to my side coop with dog crate and area outside of it, enclosed. lord, one little ducky was shivering and WAY smaller than duck one. after mom ate and drank,etc. I shut her in roomy dog crate w/ clean shavings and babies. It is now a few hours late and her butt is in the corner, babies hovering under... but she is NOT sitting down and I am so worried the babies will freeze.

Help?

Last edited:
She is a muscovy - I see you have them too. So you really think she might not take care of them... she IS an experienced mom.... have you had this happen? She was talking to them and all....

Not sure.
You could try waiting it out but then you could lose some.
Maybe put a heat lamp in with Mom and babies and hope she takes over or remove babies and brood them yourself.

big_smile.png
Well, here is an update:

Left them over night, decided to trust to mom nature.

a.m. - they were just fine.. eating ,drinking..... whew.....

Back
Top Bottom