Mom of 6

lisacannon

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 20, 2014
Hello my name is Lisa and yes I"m a Sahm For the ones that don't know what that is. It mean Stay At Home Mom. I have 6 kids ages from 18 yr to 3 months. And one baby in Heaven. My husband and I have been married for almost 19 years and we love our kids dearly. My husband is a Pastor at church so we are very busy. We have a small heard of chickens. And that's life here LOL I would like some help on my chickens they are so skinny. I feed them only corn right now. We are also from Oklahoma Go Sooners lol

Welcome to BYC, Tons of Great Info on the site and everyone seems nice.

Personally i would try getting some vitamins into them, maybe a commercial poultry feed higher in protein. You can also wash and bake your eggs shells then put them int oa spice grinder/coffee grinder/magic bullet and turn them into calcium powder to give to the chickens. Those are pretty much the only things i know to fatten up a chicken.

You can do a search on the forum for Skinny Chicken.....they have alot more advice then i can offer...here is a link to one thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/929526/skinny-chicken-what-do-i-do

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. My wife was a stay at home mom, and now my daughter is following in her footsteps. Raising chickens is a great experience for children. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves our chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chickens do you have?

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us!

Hello and nice to meet all of you. I didn't know corn wasn't enough I will be adding some lay pellets. And what also should I add to them?

If your birds are all of laying age / over 18 weeks or so, they can be on Layer feed. Commercial Layer feeds are usually made to be a "complete" feed, you don't need to add anything to them. You can add treats etc, but they shouldn't be more than 10-15% of the total diet. If you have corn available as a base (grew it or something), you might check with your local feed mill if they have pre-mixes that are formulated to add to corn to make a decent diet. If they have just been on corn, depending on how long, they will probably be behind in development and will lay later and not as well as normal.

Hello Lisa try the link that Kelsie posted for a more balanced diet ideas or just do a search in the feed forums. You should be able to find alot of good info. Myself i just stick with laying mash year round, free choice eggshell powder, you can also give them lettuce, cabbage, apples, in moderation of course. I'm also setting up a green fodder system for my chickens so they can have fresh green plants for a treat in the winter. Its really up to you on what you want to feed your chickens, just the more balanced the better, whole or cracked corn isnt enough. Think about it, if all you were every given to eat was corn...though high in protein.....how long do you think your body would function correctly? Not long we need vitamins and minerals and a balanced diet too.

Back
Top Bottom