Moma hen pecking back feathers from chicks, is this normal?

Juju2773

Songster
Apr 10, 2020
I have a little bantam hen that had a late hatch this year. Shes a good little moma but ive noticed she keeps pecking the feathers out of the lower backs of some of her babies. The chicks are 5 weeks old now. She will pull out feathers and even the new pin feathers. Even causing blood. Ive kept a close eye and i put white antiseptic powder on it right away to vover the blood. But now shes almist training the other chicks to do the same to each other. I see them try it after watching her do it. Is this normal? Why is she doing this? I managed to get a photo of at least one. Theres a long strip up the back of bare skin, but the wings are partially covering it. The moma is the one in front with the reddish eyes. Shes a very small hen, not all of the eggs were hers. The dad of these is a white silky bantam. I only know because they have extra toes. And some are beginning to get little crests. But all of their combs look different. Also, its not the first time. Shes been doing it off and on for at least four weeks
20211213_124656.jpg
20211213_124658.jpg
20211213_124719.jpg
20211213_124733.jpg
20211213_130837.jpg
20211213_130834.jpg
20211213_130831.jpg
20211213_130825.jpg
20211213_130813.jpg

Last edited:
I have a little bantam hen that had a late hatch this year. Shes a good little moma but ive noticed she keeps pecking the feathers out of the lower backs of some of her babies. The chicks are 5 weeks old now. She will pull out feathers and even the new pin feathers. Even causing blood. Ive kept a close eye and i put white antiseptic powder on it right away to vover the blood. But now shes almist training the other chicks to do the same to each other. I see them try it after watching her do it. Is this normal? Why is she doing this? I managed to get a photo of at least one. Theres a long strip up the back of bare skin, but the wings are partially covering it. The moma is the one in front with the reddish eyes. Shes a very small hen, not all of the eggs were hers. The dad of these is a white silky bantam. I only know because they have extra toes. And some are beginning to get little crests. But all of their combs look different. Also, its not the first time. Shes been doing it off and on for at least four weeksView attachment 2927986View attachment 2927983View attachment 2927984View attachment 2927985
They look old enough that they can be separated from their momma, so go ahead and do that. If she’s teaching the other flock members to pick on them, then the chicks could get injured.

I tried that, but she is extremely vocal. She basically was making screaming noises and frantically trying to get in there again. I felt she was going to be traumatized so i put her back in.

Are momma and babies being kept isolated inside this whole time? Or are they allowed to go in and out with the other birds, and the photos just happen to be inside the coop?

If they're being kept inside or away from the flock, she might be going stir crazy.

did she start laying again? if so separate her from the chicks as she might kill them. happened to a friend of mine a few times. not all broody hens do that but watch for it. if she pecks them a lot don't take chances.

Back
Top Bottom