Momma and new baby chick

JenTh

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2024
Indiana
Hello all,

My momma hen is doing just great with her new little chick outside. I'm amazed that she just knows what to do and that tiny little chick is just running around the run with them. I have noticed twice today when going out to check on them that baby keeps having poop stuck to her little butt. Will momma clean it up or do I need to do something for her? Do I need to bring the chick inside to monitor her? Baby is now 5 days old. Thank you all for your help and knowledge!

I can do that. Is it ok to bring the chick in and clean her then put her back outside???
Yes of course! I sure Mama hen wouldn't mind (at least not that much..................)
Get a warm damp washcloth and gently ease of the poop. It is very stubborn, so patience is key😉
After she dries off is when you can put her back with mama.

You can carefully grab the chick at night from under momma's wing to avoid chasing and confusion.

Just gently put it back after cleaning.

All the while talk to the hen so she will know that it is you and not a predator.

Yes of course! I sure Mama hen wouldn't mind (at least not that much..................)
Get a warm damp washcloth and gently ease of the poop. It is very stubborn, so patience is key😉
After she dries off is when you can put her back with mama.
Thank you! I will do just that. Momma isn't too nice when I mess with baby but her and I are building trust ( I think LOL)

Back
Top Bottom