momma duck takes all

ColleenK

Hatching
May 25, 2017
Hello I am new at this so please bare with me.
I have a momma duck that is sitting on both duck and chicken eggs and to my surprise today I walked in to a baby chick running around her. She is still sitting on the nest of mixed eggs (I think she stole the chicken eggs and put them in her nest :)) I also heard more peeping coming from under her. My questions are will she stay sitting on the eggs until the ducklings hatch? second question is will the chicks as they get bigger try to go and swim with momma and ducklings? Will this all work out? I have never had this happen before.
Thank you,
Colleen

Usually they leave the nest about 2-3 days after the first hatch to care for the ones that hatched. I'm unsure if the chicks would follow her to the water.

I personally would pull the chicks as they hatch and brood them, and leave her to hatch the duck eggs.

Usually they leave the nest about 2-3 days after the first hatch to care for the ones that hatched. I'm unsure if the chicks would follow her to the water.

I personally would pull the chicks as they hatch and brood them, and leave her to hatch the duck eggs.
Thank you I will do that then I appreciate your help

I walked into the coop this morning and found that the two baby chicks were running around away from momma duck so I scooped them up and put them on the other side of the coop by the other much larger chicks and I had one hen so upset pacing back and forth by the the fence that separates my coop so I let her in and she ran to the chicks and obviously adopted them and they obviously adopted her too and momma duck seems to be ok too she took her bath and went back to her nest. Thank you for your help you both helped so much!!!! can't wait for the ducklings to hatch :celebrate

I walked into the coop this morning and found that the two baby chicks were running around away from momma duck so I scooped them up and put them on the other side of the coop by the other much larger chicks and I had one hen so upset pacing back and forth by the the fence that separates my coop so I let her in and she ran to the chicks and obviously adopted them and they obviously adopted her too and momma duck seems to be ok too she took her bath and went back to her nest. Thank you for your help you both helped so much!!!! can't wait for the ducklings to hatch :celebrate
Wow that's unusual and am amazing for a chicken hen. It could not have worked out any better for you. :yesss:

Wow that's unusual and am amazing for a chicken hen. It could not have worked out any better for you. :yesss:
I have had chickens for years but ducks I started a couple of years ago and I started with a couple of Pekin ducks and since then I have rescued some Indian Runners and a couple of others and this is one of the rescues that are sitting she has red around her eyes and white and grey body I have not looked up her breed yet but people tend to buy them and then they find out that they are not just cute but they are work and they get smelly if not taken care of so I get tagged all the time on birds that people have a couple of weeks and then want to get rid of them so I go get them. we have lots of chickens and now have 11 ducks and 1 turkey Hen and she almost looked mad like she wanted to take care of the chicks. She did try to sit on some eggs this year but they are not fertile so I'm sure she wanted to adopt them too. I'm so excited that it went this easy I took some video of the Hen and chicks she is a great Mom

Back
Top Bottom