Momma got confused on nest

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dr.GarryTTucker, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Dr.GarryTTucker

Dr.GarryTTucker Songster

May 1, 2018
    Southeast Texas
    how long is too long to be off of a nest. I came home and momma had been on a different nest. How long is too long? Are they still good? Do you think they died?She has been off for at least 3-4 hours. They were not warm to the touch. Maybe 5 hours at the most. I left home this morning around 8 she probably got off around 10-11. That’s when she got off on Saturday. I came home around 3 and that when I moved her.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Given the temperatures in Texas, the eggs should still be viable. They can withstand chilling for longer periods at lower temperatures.

aart and Perris like this.
  3. Dr.GarryTTucker

Dr.GarryTTucker Songster

May 1, 2018
    Southeast Texas
    Even though she left the nest for 4-5 hours? It’s been 70-90 today

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    While that is not a good thing, it is not necessarily a disaster. I've has hens off the nest long enough for the eggs to be really cold to the touch. I distinctly remember one, my guess is that she was off the eggs for 7 to 8 hours, though that is just a guess. She still hatched 11 chicks out of 11 eggs.

If you wish you can candle the eggs and see if you can see movement. Then candle again in a few days and see if they are still developing. Personally I don't candle them but just put the hen back on the right nest and see what happens. I've always gotten chicks, usually a lot.

Perris and Dr.GarryTTucker like this.
  5. Dr.GarryTTucker

Dr.GarryTTucker Songster

May 1, 2018
    Southeast Texas
    Ive heard, I don’t know how true, from someone on here that the eggs will go into a hibernation for 8+ hours. They said it was “scientifically proven”. No studies cited so. I put momma back on it and I’ll be coming home for lunch from now on.

6. Dr.GarryTTucker

Dr.GarryTTucker Songster

May 1, 2018
    Southeast Texas
    Why don’t you candle them?

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    I don't feel the need.

8. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

They will be fine..Although I'd set Momma up in a Broody pen so she won't leave the nest and won't have interference from other Birds..

aart likes this.
  9. Perris

Perris Crowing

Jan 28, 2018
    Gower, Wales
    I've had the same sort of experience as Ridgerunner, and mine were fine too. I don't candle either - if it has any impact on the outcome, it can only be negative. I prefer to leave a broody be, believing that she knows better than we how to incubate eggs.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I don't candle broody eggs much either...maybe just halfway thru to remove any duds.
    My broodies get moved behind a wire wall in coop before I give them fresh fertile eggs.

How long has she been setting?
    Have you marked the eggs you want her to hatch so you can remove any new additions daily?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: