Momma got her eggs dirty

Magnolia2016

Chirping
Mar 31, 2023
Texas
I have a broody hen that’s been sitting for a week. One area of the run got wet while I was changing out the water and she got her feet muddy at some point when she got off to eat. I noticed this morning that her eggs are slightly dirty with dried mud. Should I try to gently wipe them? Just leave them be?

They'll be okay. If it worries you, take a dry cloth and gently wipe away as much mud as you can. You want to avoid getting them wet so you don't remove the protective bloom around the eggs.

Slightly dirty is not a problem. Large clumps of mud may have compromised the bloom, even if it is dry now. If it is dry I don't see any benefit to getting it off, even if it is a clump. So I'd let them be.

Pay attention to smell. If you start smelling the rotten egg smell sniff them individually and remove any that smell. But you should be doing that anyway.

They'll be okay. If it worries you, take a dry cloth and gently wipe away as much mud as you can. You want to avoid getting them wet so you don't remove the protective bloom around the eggs.
Thank you! They are not super dirty but I wanna do everything as right as possible. This is our first time hatching since owning chickens (2016). We have always bought them as pullets . 💕 we think she’s going to be a great momma !

Back
Top Bottom