Momma hen attacking other hens HELP

schrephouse

Songster
9 Years
Mar 18, 2014
Im having trouble this year. Momma hen has 5 7.5 week old chicks. She was seperated (but visible to the flock) to hatch her eggs. The last week we have let momma and hens out in the morning before letting the 4 other hens out. The few times I opened the door to allow the 4 hens out with her and chicks, the hens ignore her and the chicks. Momma hen puts kids away, then actively seeks the hens out and attacks relentlessly drawing blood. Even when hens are cowering and seeking cover from her onslaught. Any suggestions what I can do better. I have 8 more 5 week old chicks I'd like to rotate to her broody section of the run but need her and her chicks reintergrated first.

How much space does the flock have? They may need more space so that they can avoid her while reintegration takes place.

How much space does the flock have? They may need more space so that they can avoid her while reintegration takes place.
5 acres available. Small 8x17ft run attached to hen house. This 8x17 is open to larger run 60x40ft. Gate to area gets opened in morning to the 5acres.

Last edited:
That should provide enough space for them to escape from her. Can you pen her until the others have access to the 5 acres?

That should provide enough space for them to escape from her. Can you pen her until the others have access to the 5 acres?
Yes I can. But if I let her out and other hens decide to come back to the run area to lay eggs or anything all heck breaks loose. Momma hen keeps her chicks in the larger run area if they are out of the designated broody run and house. The hens run to the cover of their small run and house (where their suppose to be safe) with momma on their heels pursues them, traps them and goes after their heads. If she can reach their head she crawls underneath their body to force them out of what cover they are taking. Is this normal? Does she need more time isolated with her chicks until she gets bored raising them? Should I keep her locked up and integrate the chicks next week at 8 weeks old without momma?

Back
Top Bottom