Momma hen died, only one chick to integrate to existing flock.

MommA2K

Songster
Apr 13, 2020
Central MN
I had one of my hens hatch some eggs and we only have one chick from that hatch, she’s currently 6 weeks old. Just found momma hen dead and I don’t know what to do with the one chick. I’m worried about adding her to the existing flock (2 speckled Sussex, 1.5 years old) because one the the hens killed two other chicks from the hatch. The chick is in a coop/run next to the main run so they’re used to seeing her, but I don’t think it’s safe to add her, especially with no protection from mom.
I don’t know what to do, someone I know has chicks about 1-2 weeks older than my 6 week old, do I get another chick to keep my current one some company and then when I do add them in with the other two it might be easier?
I need some guidance as I’ve never done this before and I’m distraught over the sudden loss of my hen 😞

thank you for your time

I'm sorry to hear about your hen (and the other chicks)! Yes, best would be to get a buddy or two similar in age. Keep them in the separate coop/run for a few weeks until they bond with each other and get bigger, and then you can start letting them mingle with the adults. They'll have each other and will stick together, avoiding the adults, for a while until they are fully accepted.

I'm sorry to hear about your hen (and the other chicks)! Yes, best would be to get a buddy or two similar in age. Keep them in the separate coop/run for a few weeks until they bond with each other and get bigger, and then you can start letting them mingle with the adults. They'll have each other and will stick together, avoiding the adults, for a while until they are fully accepted.
How do I integrate the two new ones that will be here tomorrow (eeeeek!!) with the one chick I have now? I ended up ordering two 4-6 week olds from Mcmurray. Keep them in separate but close proximity to each other for a few days or add them in at night?

How do I integrate the two new ones that will be here tomorrow (eeeeek!!) with the one chick I have now? I ended up ordering two 4-6 week olds from Mcmurray. Keep them in separate but close proximity to each other for a few days or add them in at night?
Start by putting them in a dog crate in the chick's run, so they can see each other. See how they react. Do you know if they are males or females yet? If all 3 are females, it will go significantly easier. Males start to challenge each other and newcomers at that age. If they are all female, you can try letting the new ones out of the crate after a couple of hours. Just open the door and see what happens. Watch them closely. If there's no excessive aggression, you can probably just let them mingle right away. Integrating young birds with each other (especially female) is easier than integrating young birds with an adult flock, or adults with adults. The single chick will have the advantage of being on home turf, but the new chicks will have the advantage of numbers. So it's hard to say who has the upper hand. They might be fine. When I did a similar integration a couple of months ago, at that age, the males went at each other straight away, but the females didn't bother each other at all.

Start by putting them in a dog crate in the chick's run, so they can see each other. See how they react. Do you know if they are males or females yet? If all 3 are females, it will go significantly easier. Males start to challenge each other and newcomers at that age. If they are all female, you can try letting the new ones out of the crate after a couple of hours. Just open the door and see what happens. Watch them closely. If there's no excessive aggression, you can probably just let them mingle right away. Integrating young birds with each other (especially female) is easier than integrating young birds with an adult flock, or adults with adults. The single chick will have the advantage of being on home turf, but the new chicks will have the advantage of numbers. So it's hard to say who has the upper hand. They might be fine. When I did a similar integration a couple of months ago, at that age, the males went at each other straight away, but the females didn't bother each other at all.
It was a success, thank you! I purchased two pullets, they arrived Friday morning and I let them sit by the other run with the lone chick for most of the day. That night I added them in and there was just a couple pecks and they’ve been good since!

Attachments

• 00609999-796A-415F-844E-7A497A6A61E3.jpeg
    00609999-796A-415F-844E-7A497A6A61E3.jpeg
    617.4 KB · Views: 17
I had one of my hens hatch some eggs and we only have one chick from that hatch, she’s currently 6 weeks old. Just found momma hen dead and I don’t know what to do with the one chick. I’m worried about adding her to the existing flock (2 speckled Sussex, 1.5 years old) because one the the hens killed two other chicks from the hatch. The chick is in a coop/run next to the main run so they’re used to seeing her, but I don’t think it’s safe to add her, especially with no protection from mom.
I don’t know what to do, someone I know has chicks about 1-2 weeks older than my 6 week old, do I get another chick to keep my current one some company and then when I do add them in with the other two it might be easier?
I need some guidance as I’ve never done this before and I’m distraught over the sudden loss of my hen 😞

thank you for your time
I am sooo sorry for your loss. Sending my thoughts to you during this time.:love

Back
Top Bottom