Momma Hen doesn't seem concerned about other haching eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Truck207, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Truck207

Truck207 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2010
    I have a momma hen (who has hatched chicks before) who has 3 baby chicks and 3 maybe 4 more eggs that are starting to hatch, but she doesn't seem concerned about the hatching eggs. I touched the eggs and they feel cold, but I can see 1 of the chicks beaks and it is moving and then one of the other eggs I think I can hear peeping and all that egg has is a small spot where the shell is pushed out (I can't see this chick). The momma is just up and about scratching the floor with her 3 chicks and not on the nest....What do I do about the hatching eggs?

2. babynell<3

babynell<3 New Egg

Jun 4, 2011
    dade city
    if the momma doesnt go back to the nest at all you may have to take matters in your own hands and get them warm another way. this just happened to me this week. now i have a box of ten chickens and a seperate box with a light for the eggs in my room lol unfornately my hen Al left all 16 for me to mother fun fun... just make sure they have something on the bottom of the box/bin tht they wont slide all over if they try to stand. [​IMG]

3. Rex Mom

Rex Mom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    Castro Valley,CA
    Mother Nature can be fickle.. there are different reasons why she may have left the rest of the eggs. The big one is, she is happy to have three new chicks and is anxious to show them the world. She may not hear enough peeping or movement from the remaining eggs. Are the remaining eggs still viable? If so, you may need to find a way to keep them warm until the rest pop out of their shell. Then they can join the rest in the nest. It's at least worth a try.

Susan... two more weeks till my eggs hatch!

4. Truck207

Truck207 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2010
    Ok, thanks for the info. I have a broody duck that is setting on eggs, so I put the eggs under her about an 1.5 hours ago. Right now, I can hear a chick under her, but she won't let us she it (she is a very protective mother). Once the eggs hatch I plan on putting them back in with their actual mother, hopefully she will take them.

Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by