Momma hen not taking care of chicks

Jun 1, 2021
Just had a Hen hatch some babies out yesterday. I setup a nesting box for her on the ground but she has moved into her box that up off the ground and left her chicks on the ground. She still ruffles up when you try to mess with them. We live in Florida so it’s 80’s at night, 90’s during the day. Do I need to move the chicks to a brooder box or wait and see what she does with them at dusk? I put the one chick up in the box with her.

Do I need to move the chicks to a brooder box or wait and see what she does with them at dusk?

Usually, a first time animal mom has the instincts to get it right. But not always. I have had small animals for many years, and some mothers are just better than others. Anyway, I am wondering if you could put the new mom with chicks in an enclosure where she cannot "escape" from her chicks. The chickes need to get under her to keep warm at night, or even the daytime if they get cold. If she does not show much interest in her new chicks, I would not leave them outside on their own. I would put them under a brooder light to keep warm.

I have only raised my day old chicks in a brooder. Someday, I hope I might be able to have a broody hen hatch some eggs, but I currently do not have any rooster in my flock. Hope your mother hen gets it right and learns how to care for her chicks on her own. Maybe someone who has actually dealt with this situation will post a more helpful response. Best wishes.

Usually, a first time animal mom has the instincts to get it right. But not always. I have had small animals for many years, and some mothers are just better than others. Anyway, I am wondering if you could put the new mom with chicks in an enclosure where she cannot "escape" from her chicks. The chickes need to get under her to keep warm at night, or even the daytime if they get cold. If she does not show much interest in her new chicks, I would not leave them outside on their own. I would put them under a brooder light to keep warm.

I have only raised my day old chicks in a brooder. Someday, I hope I might be able to have a broody hen hatch some eggs, but I currently do not have any rooster in my flock. Hope your mother hen gets it right and learns how to care for her chicks on her own. Maybe someone who has actually dealt with this situation will post a more helpful response. Best wishes.
Thank you! I decided to put our dog kennel in there and plan to move them after they’re sleeping. I put them all in the nesting box with her and she took them back under her, so I think she’ll do fine in the enclosure. We were out of town when they started hatching. Next time I will move them into an enclosure before they hatch.
https://www.hawk-hill.com/how-to-move-a-broody-hen/

I thought this article was very helpful!

Crazy thing, I’ve been trying to get some of my hens to go broody, so I bought this hen that was known to go broody, and now I have to other hens that seem to have went broody!! So hopefully we’ll have a lot more babies coming!

Back
Top Bottom