Momma hen pulling her own chicks feathers out

So just an update...
The chicks have done well, separated in a brooder in my garage. I just moved them into the coop today, and they will stay in a dog crate I have covered in hardware cloth inside the coop for a while until I feel comfortable letting them out with the other chickens.

The crazy momma who had attacked the chicks took a few days to settle down. She called and called for her babies, then started "co-mothering" with one of the other new mommas. That momma is our "top hen" in the pecking order and surprisingly didn't mind crazy momma hanging around. So, although crazy had to have her own chicks taken away, she has settled down and is playing momma along with another hen. lol

@Peppercorngal , I'm glad you mentioned your hen that turns on her chicks every year. If this hen goes broody again, I will know to keep a close watch. I'm hopeful it was just first time mom stuff, but I guess it could be something she does every time she has chicks.
Wonderful to hear your crazy mama calmed down and became a good mom. It's nice to hear a success story! Good work!

Back
Top Bottom