Momma hen started weaning her clutch

PoppasGrill

Songster
Sep 22, 2023
North Central Florida
Our new broody momma finally started to separate from the chicks at 5-6 weeks. Seems like a long time, but she has been very attentive with them until this week. She hatched 2, another hen hatched 1 and was killed by something in the night and her other eggs were taken, so we put her hatchling in with the first Momma. Then we bought 6 at Rural King and put them with her,
The chicks are within 2 weeks of each other.
CCFDDAD9-09C8-407C-B2C7-A8A9D1EA984A.jpeg

This is a few weeks ago.
We started letting them out with the flock during the day about 2 weeks ago so they know the routine.
Now I’m going to have to get them in a regular coop to call home. Will also have to put in some lower roosting bars until they are able to get up high.
The work never stops

Have you treated them for mites?
They also may be pecked by the others. I had some pheasant chicks this year, for some reason the poor white pheasants were constantly being pecked by the others to the point we has to separate them as they would have killed them. I got up one morning and one of them had very messy feathers with some missing and was dripping in blood. She's quite happy now though running around outside roosting in the hedges and trees and always comes to see me when she's hungry.

Back
Top Bottom