Momma Hens Perching

Dawnjanell

Songster
5 Years
Feb 3, 2018
Oregon (Lane County)
Is it normal for a Mom to go back to the perch with 3 week old chicks? I sorta tricked her into sitting with them last night but tonight the chicks followed her up to the perch. Looks horribly uncomfortable and I'm stressing about if a baby falls and can't get back up.

Attachments

• IMG_20180320_200315.jpg
    IMG_20180320_200315.jpg
    475.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20180320_200123.jpg
    IMG_20180320_200123.jpg
    494 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20180320-211515~2.png
    Screenshot_20180320-211515~2.png
    301 KB · Views: 25
They'll be fine. My brooder babies are two weeks old and just started perching on a stick yesterday. At three weeks, they are definitely strong enough to hang on and balance.

If you're very worried, flip the perch so that it's wide-side flat so that the chicks can sit on it instead of perching.

Good luck and good night!

When I have a broody hen, I put a board up on the roosts. The urge to roost with the flock is a strong one. She get the babies up there, they can still get a snuggle, and they are roosting with the flock, I am thrilled when they are roosting! They will not fall or get hurt if they do, they have wings.

Mrs K

Agree with ditching the heat lamp. My neighbor had one fall this winter and burned a hole in her coop floor. She's very fortunate that the whole thing didn't burn down.

My broodies have had their babies perching in the rafters of my coop (7' up) at 3-4 weeks. They don't perch on the boards that are wide side up, either. They'll be fine. Chickens know more about raising chicks than we do.

I have had a hatch without a hen, took them out to introduce them to the flock. I watched them closely, and in the evening they went to the roost, they had feathers and I left them there. All was fine, the flock accepted them, the rooster tried to be "moma" but the chicks had no part of that! Not a moma!
I do have grates (plastic trays from a bread factory) as landings for those that want to use them. Also a hen did a winter hatch, I was worried, and it took some time for me to be comfortable with 4 day old chicks out in the snow.
I agree with ditching the heat lamp, be safe!

agree with above... turn the board, and it will be easier for the babies and your adults, and get rid of the lamp. If they get cold, they will snuggle up with mom, but the temps you have on that screenshot come no where near anybody needing a lamp. Especially the chicks with their momma.

Thanks for all the advice. The heat lamp was only on for me to see In the coop and was turned right back off. It is normally plugged in to a thermostat that only flicks on when it drops below freezing.

Back
Top Bottom