Momma is raising chicks this time...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MidnightChickenLover, Jun 20, 2010.

1. MidnightChickenLover

MidnightChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    I let my broody hen, Angel, sit on eggs for the first time, 4 out of 5 hatched, not bad. She also excepted 6 others. She's in her own pen away from the others too. She's never been friendly to me, and watches me when I enter. Lately she hasn't been calling the chicks under her when I do, which let's me get to see them. Everytime I pick them up, they screem and figet. Is that because they have a foster mom? How can I make them friendly. They are about a week old (a few more days over), and I really want these peeps to be my friendliest. ...? The chick breeds are faverolle bantams and silkie crosses

2. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    Congrats to you and Angel, great job. Handle the chicks and maybe that will tame them down some. Good luck. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    My broody-hen moms tend to back off with the defensive behavior at around 3 weeks. That's when I swoop in with treats & neck rubs.

Be patient! They'll be your little buddies. [​IMG]

4. MidnightChickenLover

Jul 13, 2009
    Thanks.. [​IMG]

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    We had 14 chicks raised by hens this year, and we made it a habit to pick each one up every day. They're just as tame as the artificially brooded chicks we raised last year. Routine is the key. Handle each chick daily and they'll soon get used to it.

6. MidnightChickenLover

Jul 13, 2009
    I'm so lucky, thanks... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by