1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

"Money Quilt"?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by bwebb7, Dec 9, 2009.

1. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    I have had this quilt on my marital bed for 20 years. Last night, I was walking around my bed and put my hand down and felt a quarter? I turned on the light, but couldn't see it! As I felt around I could feel it and now I'm sure it is sewn into the quilt!
    My husbands Gramma made this quilt so I'll ask my mother in law to ask Gramma Margie if she did/does this intentionally.

Does anyone else do this?

2. WOW , thats pretty neat finding that out after you have owned it for like 20 years !

I have never heard of it before but is a pretty nifty idea .

Fay

3. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    I have read that during the Civil War era paper money was sewn into quilts, petticoats, drapes etc...not sure of coins..will be interesting to hear her answer.

4. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Quote:How's this for quirky? My grandmother used to sew silver dollars into quilts. And when my grandfather would visit our home, he would hide a silver dollar somewhere. Sometimes it took weeks to find it, but we knew it was somewhere in the house. Is Gramma Margie a Webb by any chance? As that was also my grandparents last name.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have read somewhere in the past something along the lines of a coin for prosperity. Similar to a penny in your shoe on your wedding day.

6. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    That is so neat .. I think so much of that is lost in our "modern day" society ..

A home made quilt with a quarter sewn in for properity .. wow.

7. Chickn chick 46

Chickn chick 46 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2009
    Quote:I agree....WoW [​IMG]

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Well heck I'll have to do that! [​IMG] how neat!

9. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    Quote:How's this for quirky? My grandmother used to sew silver dollars into quilts. And when my grandfather would visit our home, he would hide a silver dollar somewhere. Sometimes it took weeks to find it, but we knew it was somewhere in the house. Is Gramma Margie a Webb by any chance? As that was also my grandparents last name.

That is SO CRAZY!
    YES! Gramma Margie is a Webb!!!
    She is my husbands granddads 2nd wife after his first wife was tragically struck and killed by a vehicle on the way to the hospital to see my "newborn" husband.

10. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    oh my goodness.. I can't wait to hear if there is a family connection..that would be so cool..keep us posted!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by