Montana

Hi! I'm planning to get my first chickens (4-6 Rhode Island Reds) this spring and am looking into where to get them... wondering where others here get yours? I'm on the Hi-Line, if that matters.

Hi! I'm planning to get my first chickens (4-6 Rhode Island Reds) this spring and am looking into where to get them... wondering where others here get yours? I'm on the Hi-Line, if that matters.
Hi! If there is a Murdochs near you, they have Chick days (I think starting in April) ...otherwise check craigslist or maybe on here...there is a farm near Hamilton I am planning on getting mine from this year. Also, you can mail order them, but it can be stressful. I mail order my ducks so i know i can get the breeds i want...but chickens are definetly more readibly available!

Welcome to the Montana thread! I’m in Helena. It’s easiest to get chicks at a feed store or through breeders. I agree that shipping chick is stressful for them. For a rarer breed I ordered hatching eggs (but you have to be willing to deal with any unwanted cockerels then).

If you come to Billings for any reason chick days sales happen all over town at various places, there are 3 shiptons, a TSC, and the Lockwood ace hardware all carry chicks in spring. Several small feed stores will order birds for you and handle post office pickups and hold them until you can get them, my favorite being Mintana Mills, a little mom and pop shop that's been around for 40 years in Billings. Many feed stores can have boards where breeders and sellers can post ads.

We've moved to Tennessee, but we got most of our chix online from Hoosiers - Brahmas and a male Turken. The ones we got from Tractor Supply in Lewistown were NOT what we wanted, they just mix them up in the water trough/bin and tell you this is a RIR, this is an Orpington, etc. We specifically asked for NO RIRs, asked for Australorps and Orpingtons and ended up with none of them and got a few oddballs which turned out to be stunted comets or something as well as a goofy-looking pseudo-Hampshire. The white ones were supposed to be Leghorns, but they ended up being Cornish X, so we ate them at about 5 months (They tend to have heart attacks and bone problems because of the fast growth). The 'comets' were not much bigger than Banties, but they still laid large eggs, so they didn't meet up with the kill cone! Needless to say, we don't recommend Tractor Supply in Lewistown.
We got our Orpingtons, Australorps, and a Turken from Big R in Billings. NOTE: Big R in Billings can't sell you roos (males) - city ordinance!

Just thought I would share this great idea for these extra cold and windy nights we have been having in NW Montana. A warm infused water t warm up thier insides. I just made it and gave it to my ducks and they loved it (I added fresh Lemon Balm and Catnip also!)

Attachments

• 0301191922.jpg
    0301191922.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom