Montana

HI Everyone! It's your southwest desert BYC'er (-;
I just set 40 eggs...
13 paint, splash, calico and white show potential Silkies (from Oregon breeder) and 27 are German/American (Good Shepherd) Heritage New Hamphsires (Nebraska-XW poultry). I included photos of the Hamp. eggs and their breeder stock...also the Silkie breeder stock....I Looking forward to about 20 days from now ((-;

Well,we ended up with about 8" of snow,I'm hopeing that I get to play with my tractor and new snowblade this weekend. My BF said he was going to come up here tomorrow and plow the driveway while I'm at work, but I told him thats not fair, I wanted to have some fun to, so he's going to let me plow from the house to the coop.
So,I've been in MT 11 years now, and I still don't get the weather out here. In MN weather was normal, in the winter it snowed and was cold- when it got windy it really got cold and the snow stayed till May. Here, in the winter it snows some, gets warm, then it gets windy and it gets- warmer??
idunno.gif

HI Everyone! It's your southwest desert BYC'er (-;
I just set 40 eggs...
13 paint, splash, calico and white show potential Silkies (from Oregon breeder) and 27 are German/American (Good Shepherd) Heritage New Hamphsires (Nebraska-XW poultry). I included photos of the Hamp. eggs and their breeder stock...also the Silkie breeder stock....I Looking forward to about 20 days from now ((-;

Oh I just love those silkies! I would have one to if I was told not to put them with my big birds. They are beautiful! I also want one of them there heratige new Hampshire 's Z, beautiful just beautiful! I can not wait to see the chicks! What's funny, that last white silkie looks like a small dog ( looks like he is on all four feet lol.

Last edited:
Well,we ended up with about 8" of snow,I'm hopeing that I get to play with my tractor and new snowblade this weekend. My BF said he was going to come up here tomorrow and plow the driveway while I'm at work, but I told him thats not fair, I wanted to have some fun to, so he's going to let me plow from the house to the coop.
So,I've been in MT 11 years now, and I still don't get the weather out here. In MN weather was normal, in the winter it snowed and was cold- when it got windy it really got cold and the snow stayed till May. Here, in the winter it snows some, gets warm, then it gets windy and it gets- warmer?? :idunno
Montana weather, you never know what's a cooking and one day snow the next day grass lol. I hear ya, yesterday way lots of snow, this evening it's all melted off my porch lol.
Driving plow sounds fun, you country girls have so much fun! Today was a long day, can not wait until Saturday when I get to sleep in ! I'm off to bed!

Heard today we got the snow but west of us they barely got anything.
Got between 6-8 inches of snow.
Azriel reminds me of a story I was told years ago.
A new TV reporter for one of the Billings channels had just moved here. During her first winter it snowed pretty good. The road crews plowed the roads and left the snow in large piles between the lanes. She asked why they didn't just remove the snow completely. Was told they were waiting for the Chinooks.
She later admitted that she thought bus loads of native americans were going to come out and shovel the roads off!
She finally figured it was the Chinook Winds!

yuckyuck.gif
That story made me laugh so hard my dogs both got up to see what was wrong with me. Roundup does that with the snow all the time, and I never knew why. Now every time I see that I'll have a mental image of little Native people with snow shovels.
Silkes are soo cute, but as a dog groomer, I'd have to get out the clippers. Hey Karla,I've heard they are great broodies. I love the spotted ones.

Oh I just love those silkies! I would have one to if I was told not to put them with my big birds. They are beautiful! I also want one of them there heratige new Hampshire 's Z, beautiful just beautiful! I can not wait to see the chicks! What's funny, that last white silkie looks like a small dog ( looks like he is on all four feet lol.
The Silkies are kind of like the 'poodle' of the chicken breeds (-: They are extremely friendly and can get picked on unless raised with the full size hens...they don't tend to challenge and fall in line...but if you have a 'bully' of a hen then it can be less than ideal for the sweet silkie. They make very reliable setters/broodys and dedicated mothers too. They do lay well when not broody which is only about 50% of the time it seems with most...I have never owned one but have some friends with them...they will greet you each and every time you go near them...most even enjoy being held/cuddled. My sister wants a small flock of them, so I am hatching some quality breeder stock for her. She requested the colors I am hatching. The heritage German/american line new Hampshires are truly a dual purpose breed...very good layers of nice large eggs and excellent large, earlier maturing meat birds too plus they ain't too shabby in the looks dept!!
big_smile.png
The eggs are from a master APA breeder. He bred those beautiful barred rock pullets I have.
Cindy in AZ

Heard today we got the snow but west of us they barely got anything.
Got between 6-8 inches of snow.
Azriel reminds me of a story I was told years ago.
A new TV reporter for one of the Billings channels had just moved here. During her first winter it snowed pretty good. The road crews plowed the roads and left the snow in large piles between the lanes. She asked why they didn't just remove the snow completely. Was told they were waiting for the Chinooks.
She later admitted that she thought bus loads of native americans were going to come out and shovel the roads off!
She finally figured it was the Chinook Winds!
lol that's a riot, I can just see Indians come along and shovel to lmao :D. You got some good snow, I hate it now but am really starting to rethink the hate, after all my grass is being watered lol, so it's a good thing!

The Silkies are kind of like the 'poodle' of the chicken breeds (-: They are extremely friendly and can get picked on unless raised with the full size hens...they don't tend to challenge and fall in line...but if you have a 'bully' of a hen then it can be less than ideal for the sweet silkie. They make very reliable setters/broodys and dedicated mothers too. They do lay well when not broody which is only about 50% of the time it seems with most...I have never owned one but have some friends with them...they will greet you each and every time you go near them...most even enjoy being held/cuddled. My sister wants a small flock of them, so I am hatching some quality breeder stock for her. She requested the colors I am hatching. The heritage German/american line new Hampshires are truly a dual purpose breed...very good layers of nice large eggs and excellent large, earlier maturing meat birds too plus they ain't too shabby in the looks dept!!
big_smile.png
The eggs are from a master APA breeder. He bred those beautiful barred rock pullets I have. Cindy in AZ
they are so sweet looking, if my chicken coop and pen did not take half my yard I would hae some. But my RIR are real snots ! They pick on everyone who can not defend them selves, I'm dealing with it now on my Easter egger since giving the rooster away she has no one to help fend them turds off. If they were not such good layers I would get rid of them! I would if I had the room to set up a new little coop and have a few of these silkies!

Last edited:
:yuckyuck   That story made me laugh so hard my dogs both got up to see what was wrong with me. Roundup does that with the snow all the time, and  I never knew why. Now every time I see that I'll have a mental image of little Native people with snow shovels.
Silkes are soo cute, but as a dog groomer, I'd have to get out the clippers. Hey Karla,I've heard they are great broodies. I love the spotted ones.
dang it, now I really wish you lived closer! M dogs need grooming. I get it done every 3 months. Is it possible to trim chickns? I have a chicken that is all ways got crappola on her hinny lol I'm forever dipping her in water during the summer. She went into a huge molt last fall and her hinny did not grow back, oh she has some tail feathers coming out, but her business is still bare lmao.:lol: what a day, kids not wanting to get out of bed to do chores, daughter planning her tonight's date before she steps out of bed, informing me she has got to get done with chores so she can get out of the house, awwww haaaa haaa silly girl, that's not happening!
I have a large order of chicken feed from azure standard coming, I'm sooo excited. No more pelleted stuff, this stuff has no soy, no corn and my chickens love it. All whole grains ! I ordered 120 pounds of it but have another 160 in my cart for next month. I only go through about 1 bag of feed per month, but they love this stuff as its like crack so they can eat all they want and fatten up . Also got my self a large jar on that honey that has no straining, no heating and 100% natural. Figure I will have some each day and use it on sores etc. like they say it heals .
I love me some azure standard ! Is so cheap for the truck to come deliver, and I lov all the organic stuff they carry.

Back
Top Bottom