Montana

hi Jesse, I have a mixed bunch in my layer pen, Marans of several colors, SLW, Ameraucana, EE,OE, Orps, some production red that I don't like, GSL and BSL that I do like, and in their own breeding pen Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Ameraucana. I like hatching chicks, and love to see what colors I come up with when breeding the EE and OE's. I've never tried letting one of my broodys hatch, I might give that a try this year. I would also like to get a few turkeys this year.

Sweet are you looking for a heritage or meat breed? I have had Black spanish, Royal palm and currently have to Bourbon Red hens. The BS are the bigger of the three. The BR's are a medium size and the Rp are smaller yet. For overall looks and temperment I would select either RP or BR. My favorite is the RP. I am going to get some DB Whites for turkey day and x-mas myself.
P.S. I will take picks of my broody and post them for you guys.

Last edited:
Sweet are you looking for a heritage or meat breed? I have had Black spanish, Royal palm and currently have to Bourbon Red hens. The BS are the bigger of the three. The BR's are a medium size and the Rp are smaller yet. For overall looks and temperment I would select either RP or BR. My favorite is the RP. I am going to get some DB Whites for turkey day and x-mas myself.
. Oh I love pictures! Please I want to see what you have! Do you sell your turkeys all dressed out ? Would love a turkey, a duck and chickens ready to cook lol, not feathered. I got about 6 eggs from 7 adult birds this winter, but it went down to 3/4 for about a month or two as my RIR started to molt. Hoping they will all start to lay again soon!

hi Jesse, I have a mixed bunch in my layer pen, Marans of several colors, SLW, Ameraucana, EE,OE, Orps, some production red that I don't like, GSL and BSL that I do like, and in their own breeding pen Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Ameraucana. I like hatching chicks, and love to see what colors I come up with when breeding the EE and OE's.  I've never tried letting one of my broodys hatch, I might give that a try this year. I would also like to get a few turkeys this year.
I need you to grow me an orphington ! I need another brooder!

They're here! I currently have 8 healthy babies that hatched today, one that seems to be having a hard time staying upright and out of egg shape - almost acts like a premie -and one with an extreme crossbeak and only one eye . Its so hard to do but we destroyed the poor little guy. I'v e corrected minor beak arnd leg problems before but one side of this guys head was not right Know that it was a mercy to kill it but I feel so guilty! All the greens hatched first and then the blues. Still waiting on one blue and the two small brown ones to hatch. The only red egg didn't develop. The babies are adorable and two of the yellows have black spots! Will try to send some pictures tomorrow. lori

BUTTERMILK FRIED CHICKEN

4 Bone-in Chicken Breasts
6 Chicken Wings
4 cups Buttermilk
1 cup Hot Sauce Or Tabasco
@ 1 quart Canola Oil, For Deep Frying
2 cups All-purpose Flour
2-3 Tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
½ cups Cornstarch
1 Tablespoon Sea Salt, Plus More For Seasoning Chicken
1 Tablespoon Fresh Ground Pepper, Plus More For Seasoning Chicken And Buttermilk

Recipe procedure begins with a buttermilk marinade followed by a seasoned flour coating and then deep frying.

Season your chicken with salt and pepper and lay them across a baking pan. Combine the buttermilk, hot

sauce, and some more pepper together and pour evenly over the chicken. Cover and refrigerate for at

least 4-6 hours.

Once you’re ready to cook your chicken, add the canola oil to a large pot, reaching a temperature of

325ºF. (I highly encourage getting a deep fryer if you find yourself in the kitchen often. They’re inexpensive

and really easy to use.) In a separate dish, combine the flour, Old Bay Seasoning, corn starch, and salt

and pepper. Coat each piece of chicken with the flour mixture, lightly shaking off the excess.
Working in batches, add the chicken to the hot oil and fry for about 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown

and cooked through. Drain the pieces on paper towels

Well guys/gals as promised here is a couple pics of my broody. I put some EE eggs under her.
she is very timid around me so I was able to lift her for a sec to get a pic of the eggs as well.
My son tried first but she went crazy on him and bit the crap out of him almost drawing blood.
I just had to laugh at him. I told him he doesn't care for them so they don't know him and
find him a threat.

I think to start with I'm just going to get a few meat birds for myself and some friends. Then if I like having them around I'll get a few heritage, I think the RP are beautiful, but I don't think I could ever eat one of them, and I have to have something that I like having plus I can eat the extras. I'm going to try some meat chickens this year also, for the most part I roast all my DP roos, and I miss fried chicken, but I won't buy store chicken anymore.
Lori- congrats on the chicks, we need photos.

I think to start with I'm just going to get a few meat birds for myself and some friends. Then if I like having them around I'll get a few heritage, I think the RP are beautiful, but I don't think I could ever eat one of them, and I have to have something that I like having plus I can eat the extras. I'm going to try some meat chickens this year also, for the most part I roast all my DP roos, and I miss fried chicken, but I won't buy store chicken anymore.
Lori- congrats on the chicks, we need photos.
For great meat birds that are also Heritage...how about trying some New Hampshires and/or Dorkings?? I know a few breeders of both that have real nice quality birds...and they sell hatching eggs too (-;

They're here!     I currently have 8 healthy babies that hatched today, one that seems to be having a hard time staying upright and out of egg shape - almost acts like a premie -and one with an extreme crossbeak and only one eye .   Its so hard to do but we destroyed the poor little guy.   I'v e corrected minor beak arnd leg problems before but one side of this guys head was not right     Know that it was a mercy to kill it but I feel so guilty!   All the greens hatched first and then the blues.   Still waiting on one blue and the two small brown ones to hatch.   The only red egg didn't develop. The babies are adorable and two of the yellows have black spots!   Will try to send some pictures tomorrow.   lori
you did the right thing, no need in life long suffering. Hope you take some pictures! I'm so excited for you, what kind of chickens will they be?

BUTTERMILK FRIED CHICKEN

4  Bone-in Chicken Breasts
6  Chicken Wings
4 cups Buttermilk
1 cup Hot Sauce Or Tabasco
@ 1 quart Canola Oil, For Deep Frying
2 cups All-purpose Flour
2-3 Tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
½ cups Cornstarch
1 Tablespoon Sea Salt, Plus More For Seasoning Chicken
1 Tablespoon Fresh Ground Pepper, Plus More For Seasoning Chicken And Buttermilk

Recipe procedure begins with a buttermilk marinade followed by a seasoned flour coating and then deep frying. 

Season your chicken with salt and pepper and lay them across a baking pan. Combine the buttermilk, hot 

sauce, and some more pepper together and pour evenly over the chicken. Cover and refrigerate for at 

least 4-6 hours.

Once you’re ready to cook your chicken, add the canola oil to a large pot, reaching a temperature of 

325ºF. (I highly encourage getting a deep fryer if you find yourself in the kitchen often. They’re inexpensive 

and really easy to use.) In a separate dish, combine the flour, Old Bay Seasoning, corn starch, and salt 

and pepper. Coat each piece of chicken with the flour mixture, lightly shaking off the excess.
Working in batches, add the chicken to the hot oil and fry for about 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown 

and cooked through. Drain the pieces on paper towels
. I'm going to try this next week! This sounds super yummy!
Thank you, I'm always on the look out for fresh chicken recipes !

Back
Top Bottom