Montana

For great meat birds that are also Heritage...how about trying some New Hampshires and/or Dorkings?? I know a few breeders of both that have real nice quality birds...and they sell hatching eggs too (-;
I'm Hopi g with all this chicken talk someone here grows some meat birds for me and sells them to me! I want a fresh fryed chicken. No store bought please! Lol

BUTTERMILK FRIED CHICKEN

4 Bone-in Chicken Breasts
6 Chicken Wings
4 cups Buttermilk
1 cup Hot Sauce Or Tabasco
@ 1 quart Canola Oil, For Deep Frying
2 cups All-purpose Flour
2-3 Tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
½ cups Cornstarch
1 Tablespoon Sea Salt, Plus More For Seasoning Chicken
1 Tablespoon Fresh Ground Pepper, Plus More For Seasoning Chicken And Buttermilk

Recipe procedure begins with a buttermilk marinade followed by a seasoned flour coating and then deep frying.

Season your chicken with salt and pepper and lay them across a baking pan. Combine the buttermilk, hot

sauce, and some more pepper together and pour evenly over the chicken. Cover and refrigerate for at

least 4-6 hours.

Once you’re ready to cook your chicken, add the canola oil to a large pot, reaching a temperature of

325ºF. (I highly encourage getting a deep fryer if you find yourself in the kitchen often. They’re inexpensive

and really easy to use.) In a separate dish, combine the flour, Old Bay Seasoning, corn starch, and salt

and pepper. Coat each piece of chicken with the flour mixture, lightly shaking off the excess.
Working in batches, add the chicken to the hot oil and fry for about 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown

and cooked through. Drain the pieces on paper towels
Your killing me, I'm on a diet!
I had thought about the Dorking, but don't really want another breed just now, more looking for something that will grow fast, get butchered and be gone.
I'm looking at buying an older farmstead that was cut off from most of its land when a railroad went through 3 years ago. It has a great old barn that I could put the milk cows in and have room to grow up a couple of pigs for butcher, there is a big coop attached to the barn, and 2 other small sheds that would work out for breeding coops for the chicken breeds that I want. It also has a huge hay shed, a garage type shed with a heated work shop area, and a nice little 2 bedroom house. I can walk to it in 10 min and the little bit of land it has left backs up to one of my hay fields. Oh, it also has a root celler, and a cold storage for hanging meat. Wish me luck, I really want this place. I tried to buy it when I 1st moved out here, but it was owned by the Bull Mountain Coal Mine, and they wouldn't sell at the time.

Your killing me, I'm on a diet!
I had thought about the Dorking, but don't really want another breed just now, more looking for something that will grow fast, get butchered and be gone.
I'm looking at buying an older farmstead that was cut off from most of its land when a railroad went through 3 years ago. It has a great old barn that I could put the milk cows in and have room to grow up a couple of pigs for butcher, there is a big coop attached to the barn, and 2 other small sheds that would work out for breeding coops for the chicken breeds that I want. It also has a huge hay shed, a garage type shed with a heated work shop area, and a nice little 2 bedroom house. I can walk to it in 10 min and the little bit of land it has left backs up to one of my hay fields. Oh, it also has a root celler, and a cold storage for hanging meat. Wish me luck, I really want this place. I tried to buy it when I 1st moved out here, but it was owned by the Bull Mountain Coal Mine, and they wouldn't sell at the time.
I will keep my fingers crossed for you...and live vicariously through you too...oh, to have land...heck, you could use the little house as a guest house...or rent it...or?? How old do you think it dates to? may be some old 'treasures' hidden in that barn/house too...would love to see some pics..nothing like an old barn or old house (-;

I will keep my fingers crossed for you...and live vicariously through you too...oh, to have land...heck, you could use the little house as a guest house...or rent it...or?? How old do you think it dates to? may be some old 'treasures' hidden in that barn/house too...would love to see some pics..nothing like an old barn or old house (-;
Thats what I was thinking, guest house, don't think I'd want to rent it as I'd be over there alot and wouldn't want to bother people or have anyone messing with my animals. I do think my BF would move in there, that would be nice, he would be close, but not living with me and I wouldn't have to clean up after him
thumbsup.gif
. I also thought of weekly rental to hunters, I'm in a great location for mule deer, antelope, elk, and upland birds. All these thoughts running around my head. I want to get over there with a metal detector and see if I can find anything fun. I guess its maybe from the late 20's-early 30's, so not super old, its been empty for at least 15 years, but everythings in good shape yet. It does need a new well. I could haul water for any animals I had over there, but not for the house, so that would have to be done before I could really do anything with the house.

Man, I'd really love to get a big, pre-made shed to house my breeder birds I have coming in this year... But those things are crazy expensive!
http://www.hickorysheds.com

I need... 8 or 10 breeding pens with runs... Thinking 12 wide, 4 foot walkway down the middle and 4 foot deep indoor areas on both sides... 3 ft wide each, and 5 per side would be 15 feet, plus 5 for storage areas would give me a 12X20 building... doors and vents on either end. I don't even want to know what that would cost for someone else to build.

Looks like I have a project this spring!

Everyone's fine over our way. Linc (Blue Copper Marans roo) went to live at Cackleberry Coop, since his son was beating him up. Linc's a very nice guy. I'm glad he has his own flock of ladies now :)

Man, I'd really love to get a big, pre-made shed to house my breeder birds I have coming in this year... But those things are crazy expensive!
http://www.hickorysheds.com

I need... 8 or 10 breeding pens with runs... Thinking 12 wide, 4 foot walkway down the middle and 4 foot deep indoor areas on both sides... 3 ft wide each, and 5 per side would be 15 feet, plus 5 for storage areas would give me a 12X20 building... doors and vents on either end. I don't even want to know what that would cost for someone else to build.

Looks like I have a project this spring!

Everyone's fine over our way. Linc (Blue Copper Marans roo) went to live at Cackleberry Coop, since his son was beating him up. Linc's a very nice guy. I'm glad he has his own flock of ladies now :)

wow you have yaks how cool. And Barbie is adorable! What chicks do you have as I see your selling chicks also. Do you have a lot of chickens? You know I need visual lol.

Thats what I was thinking, guest house, don't think I'd want to rent it as I'd be over there alot and wouldn't want to bother people or have anyone messing with my animals. I do think my BF would move in there, that would be nice, he would be close, but not living with me and I wouldn't have to clean up after him:thumbsup  . I also thought of weekly rental to hunters, I'm in a great location for mule deer, antelope, elk, and upland birds. All these thoughts running around my head. I want to get over there with a metal detector and see if I can find anything fun. I guess its maybe from the late 20's-early 30's, so not super old, its been empty for at least 15 years, but everythings in good shape yet. It does need a new well. I could haul water for any animals I had over there, but not for the house, so that would have to be done before I could really do anything with the house.
well you can make it a weekend retreat and rent it out! I would e glad to rent it on the weekends relaxing and maybe getting some meat to bring home, never hunted seems like it would be easy there lol. I would not mess with your animals I promise !
How's the chicks? Got any pictures? Did you hatch out any orphingtons or other birds besides EE or wheatens? I need visual ! Do you have a hatch date so I can put it in my calendar ?

wow you have yaks how cool. And Barbie is adorable! What chicks do you have as I see your selling chicks also. Do you have a lot of chickens? You know I need visual lol.
Oh yeah, they're pretty cool. Barbie's a good girl... they're due for a new round bale today.

I sell F1/F2 Olive Eggers, Pure FBCM, and Chocolate/Olive egger mixes. I am building breeding pens for Cream Crested Legbars, Bielefelders, OEs, Marans, and a few others I'll be firming up later.

I have...50 or so chickens :) They all free range for now.

Howdy All, Anybody have any hatching eggs for sale from purebred poultry? I really hate to chance shipping from across the US if someone closer happens to have any. I am looking for some good layers,possibly dual purpose- heritage preferably,guineas,white midget turkeys,possibly ducks........Anybody in MT have any experience with the midget white turkeys? Curious how they would handle this climate..............
THANKS !

Back
Top Bottom