Montana

Normally I would jump at that, but I just took on some turkey eggs.  I did promise my girls we'd try ducks this year though ;)

And speaking of the turkey eggs... LoL!  I found some on ebay- but they are in Stevensville.  We just happened to be running a dog transport (rescue dogs) from Stevensville tomorrow so the gal that has the dog right now was kind enough to pick up eggs for me.  So, tomorrow I will meet our new "foster to adopt" dog along with my Bourbon Red turkey eggs in Helena. Should work out great!  She also had a young tom that I would have loved to have spoken for, but thought I might be pushing my luck asking to hop a turkey on the dog transport.... 

Calving is coming along well- I haven't counted today, but the last time I checked the cows had dropped 21 babies in 24 hours.  That's sure keeping the guys busy.  The mare is still big and uncomfortable, but hopefully that baby will make an appearance soon too- that's the one I'm very excited for!

Hope everyone has a great day tomorrow!
what kind of dog are you getting? Glad you found your turkey eggs ! Sounds like the calving is hard work, also must be so cool seeing the little babies :). Say, where is Stevensville? I heard of it but have no clue .

I could sell you some eggs. Or chicks but the will hatch around April 8th or 9th.
me ? Not sure who you are talking to lol. Where has everyone been? Not much going on here, looks like another girl may go broody, my RIR/Easter egger who went berserk when we stole the eggs out of another chickens nest. She was waiting to go sit on them lol. Oye I do not need two broodys lol. If that happens I will half the eggs and give the broody the other broodys eggs, then they can hatch at the same time lol. I bought 3 dozen from the gal, and put eight under her, but did notice when I cooked the next dozen up for my kids that only about 6 out of the twelve were fertile, so we may or may not get eight chicks, I will e happy with 4 hens. Ugh no roosters lol, please ))))

Had a good trip to Helena on Friday. The new dog is settling in real well. He's a Border Collie/ Kelpie mix- as far as we can tell anyway. Super nice boy- very high energy but really wants to please. I think he's going to fit in here just fine. :)

The turkey eggs all made it in one piece and are safely in the incubator. I'm having thermometer issues- three different ones with three different readings. I think I've found the happy medium though- so I'm going to hope for the best!

Still no foal, but she's so uncomfortable... can't be long now!

Hope you all had a great weekend!

Hi there Montana folks. I'm happy to say that our 5 new chicks (2 barred rocks and 3 silver laced wyandottes) adapted to their new home and are doing fine. We still have to keep them inside; they have a nice roomy over-sized storage tote that we converted to their home. We placed a heating pad inside for them to sit on and we keep the tote next to the wood stove in the family room. Since our bathroom is stone-tile floor, we turn them loose in there about twice a day so they can run around and stretch their little wings, plus it is easy to clean afterwards.

I'm still waiting for the weather to warm a little more and the snow to melt so I can finish the fence on the chicken run. My wife and I are trying to be as frugal as possible when it comes to raising these little ones, so I managed to find different methods for building. A friend of mine had a huge scrap wood pile at his place that he let me raid as much as I want, plus I called a bunch of stores in Bozeman and found where to pick up free pallets. Stripping down pallets can result in some very good pieces of wood.

Our 6 year old son loves our chicks, and we have given him much of the responsibilities of taking care of them, thus earning him the title of Chicken Tender.

Hope everyone had a good weekend, and let's hope for a little springtime weather!

Had a good trip to Helena on Friday.  The new dog is settling in real well.  He's a Border Collie/ Kelpie mix- as far as we can tell anyway.  Super nice boy- very high energy but really wants to please.  I think he's going to fit in here just fine. :)

The turkey eggs all made it in one piece and are safely in the incubator.  I'm having thermometer issues- three different ones with three different readings.  I think I've found the happy medium though- so I'm going to hope for the best!

Still no foal, but she's so uncomfortable... can't be long now! 

Hope you all had a great weekend!
I have a broody that would have loved to sit on them for you lol , hope you get things going good for a good hatch ! I'm so glad you got a good dog, it's so nice when folks rehome a dog , makes me sad when folks get animals and then give them away . We were raised animals were for there life, you et Em you got them until there aged and die. Had me a few goofie dogs, but there life was important and they lived rip old ages. Moms got a lab and Rottweiler as dumb as a cement block, but as sweet as candy. She is about 8 ears old now, getting up there.

We picked up our new heifer yesterday, but it was so cold today that I wasn't able to get photos of her. I'll try over the next few days if it warms up some. I named her Rosie as she is a pretty red color. She is a real sweetie and loves to be petted and brushed.

Hi there Montana folks. I'm happy to say that our 5 new chicks (2 barred rocks and 3 silver laced wyandottes) adapted to their new home and are doing fine. We still have to keep them inside; they have a nice roomy over-sized storage tote that we converted to their home. We placed a heating pad inside for them to sit on and we keep the tote next to the wood stove in the family room. Since our bathroom is stone-tile floor, we turn them loose in there about twice a day so they can run around and stretch their little wings, plus it is easy to clean afterwards.

I'm still waiting for the weather to warm a little more and the snow to melt so I can finish the fence on the chicken run. My wife and I are trying to be as frugal as possible when it comes to raising these little ones, so I managed to find different methods for building. A friend of mine had a huge scrap wood pile at his place that he let me raid as much as I want, plus I called a bunch of stores in Bozeman and found where to pick up free pallets. Stripping down pallets can result in some very good pieces of wood. 

Our 6 year old son loves our chicks, and we have given him much of the responsibilities of taking care of them, thus earning him the title of Chicken Tender.

Hope everyone had a good weekend, and let's hope for a little springtime weather!
welcome! Sounds like you are on the right tract, you live in the city? Are you new to chickens? How old are they now? Did you get them from locals order them or from a store?
It's nice to see more folks raising chickens and benign frugal!

welcome! Sounds like you are on the right tract, you live in the city? Are you new to chickens? How old are they now? Did you get them from locals order them or from a store?
It's nice to see more folks raising chickens and benign frugal!
Hello! Our chicks are about 10-11 days old now, we got them from Murdochs in Bozeman. And yes, we are new to chickens but we are very excited. We live about 15 miles from town, so the chickens will eventually have plenty of room to run around. We figured we would start small with the 5 chicks, then gradually increase our flock size.

Hello! Our chicks are about 10-11 days old now, we got them from Murdochs in Bozeman. And yes, we are new to chickens but we are very excited. We live about 15 miles from town, so the chickens will eventually have plenty of room to run around. We figured we would start small with the 5 chicks, then gradually increase our flock size.
it's a bit touchy to add to your flock unless you can keep them separated until there about the same size. I found this out with my pullets last year ( younger girls) thank god it was warm out and I was able to add a dog house in my pen and separate with fencing the older and younger girls. They had to be separated for 2 months, what a pain. I finally I was able to merge them in the yard and the pullet could run around and get out of the big girls way. But when they went back they had to be separated again for the night. Slowly we got the, integrated but I had to give 2 girls away as they would not for no reason accept them.i have learned more now, got more pullets coming, and plan to do the same again. I tell folks, if you want 10 chickens eventually, get them now. Make it easy on your self lol. At least with all the land you must have the ones you add to your flock will have more room to run and get away from the big girls.

Back
Top Bottom