Montana

I've been feeding Lakeland since I moved here in 2010, and I haven't been happy with the quality in the last few months =/ More fines in my pellets, and the last batch of Rabbit Habit was VERY light green as opposed to the normal vibrant color I expect from fresh, local feed. I'm going to be switching brands.

Yahoo!! I got the "chicks" (10 weeks) out in the coop today. No more chickens in my house
ya.gif
, well at least for now, more chicks hatching in 2 weeks, but weather should be better and I'll get them out sooner.
We got all the fields worked and ready for planting, we were out working the fields untill 11pm both Fri and Sat, but its good to have that part done. Now we need to get the seed in the ground and hope for rain.
My BF and I drove through the area that was hit so hard by the fire last year and its so sad to see all the homes that were lost and all the clean up that still needs to be done, I hope we get more rain this spring, I would hate to see another fire season like last year.

Hello Karlamaria and thanks for the complement! The coop is for the big girls. I used exterior plywood because it is much more stable than OSB over time, and has greater screw-holding strength. If OSB gets wet long enough, it basically falls apart - not so with exterior plywood. Neither material has much insulating value. I am raising cold-hardy birds and will not be insulating the coop. I might decrease the ventilation a little in the wintertime, but they should be fine in there. Planning to build a cookie-tin water heater, which will keep their water from freezing and also add a little bit of heat to the coop. Finished the roof today! Applied asphalt shingles, now I am hoping it gets warm enough for the shingles to bond to the roof before the wind blows them off!

Doug

Yahoo!! I got the "chicks"  (10 weeks) out in the coop today. No more chickens in my house :ya , well at least for now, more chicks hatching in 2 weeks, but weather should be better and I'll get them out sooner.
We got all the fields worked and ready for planting, we were out working the fields untill 11pm both Fri and Sat, but its good to have that part done. Now we need to get the seed in the ground and hope for rain.
My BF and I drove through the area that was hit so hard by the fire last year and its so sad to see all the homes that were lost and all the clean up that still needs to be done, I hope we get more rain this spring, I would hate to see another fire season like last year.
that is awesome! So glad you guys are doing well, I know those hit hard there was so sad. Ok, now that there out i need to see pictures , please ))) :)

Hello Karlamaria and thanks for the complement!  The coop is for the big girls.  I used exterior plywood because it is much more stable than OSB over time, and has greater screw-holding strength.  If OSB gets wet long enough, it basically falls apart - not so with exterior plywood.  Neither material has much insulating value.  I am raising cold-hardy birds and will not be insulating the coop.  I might decrease the ventilation a little in the wintertime, but they should be fine in there.  Planning to build a cookie-tin water heater, which will keep their water from freezing and also add a little bit of heat to the coop.  Finished the roof today!  Applied asphalt shingles, now I am hoping it gets warm enough for the shingles to bond to the roof before the wind blows them off!

Doug
I hear you, many do not insulate , :) I had mine built with both, osb, ply wood and siding. In between the walls insulation, electricity, electric door , yeah I went over board lol. We are suposed to warm up real good on Tuesday, in the 60's I hopecyour shingles bond. I made a tin can heater 2 years ago, worked awesome! Any more I just put my water on bricks, and hang the heat lamp up on the ceiling and it surprisingly kept the water unfrozen.
I. Love the shape of your coop, you did an awesome job.

RoyalT we always fed our rabbits Phaas (?) rabbit feed. Really bright green.

I also insulated my coop. Have had days that were -30. That way the heat from the heat lamps helps keep it warmer.

RoyalT we always fed our rabbits Phaas (?) rabbit feed. Really bright green.

I also insulated my coop. Have had days that were -30. That way the heat from the heat lamps helps keep it warmer.
Yeah I can get Pfau's from the local club, they buy it by the pallet from the mill. I liked having the two levels of protein for bucks/young rabbits vs. preg/lactating does... If Pfau's all just one mix?

ok I bought this in dillon last year, my chickens liked it . Do they sell it in crumble? My chickens really do not care for pellets. Got my azure standard yesterday, 6 months of scratch and peck. Going to mix the powder that it leaves into some yogert today and alfalfa pellets and let it soak up. They love that.
Karla: it comes in pellets & crumbles. I tried going back to the Nutrena from Big R (stupid-- it was on sale & I was trying to save a few bucks........) Never do that again, as I ended up taking back for a refund & the bag I had opened ended up in the compost pile.

Back
Top Bottom