Montana

Thanks again Karlamaria.  It probably helps some that I'm a civil engineer with some decent power tools!
your family is lucky, seriously I have the biggest key stone cops around here, clowns the lot of them lol, not one knows how to wield a ha,mre, and my dad who is Spanish/Mexican does what we call Mexican things up. He does not measure he just cuts, then patches and then...... Oh man I can not tell you the bad jobs my dad has done over the years. Makes a person weep. Needless to say I have had to pay a high price for the coops I have had built, taken for a lot of money at times and count my lucky stars when I am lucky enough to find good folks to do a good job.
Case in point, my raised beds, I ave the guy lots of money to make my raised beds ( off the ground) he made one out of pallets and I scolded him as there made from different places and can be sprayed 5 different chemicals depending on what climate there going to. I got 4 good ones and a pelleted one paid for five got 4 I can use. Good news is, I'm planting grass in the pelleted one, only putting liner down so it's safe, adding good soil and adding grass, lettuces and so fourth and letting the chickens go nuts when it grows a certain height, then going to cover it until it grows again. Keeping them happy I hope all summer .
Paid a guy to build me a coop for mom in December, paid the first 200.00 as he said he needed some things . He never did produce a coop, and last month got my money back finally from his mommy.
My first coop the guy got paid and then stopped in mid stream and said he was done :rolleyes: I had to have another guy finish it,
So you dear are a man to have around. My ex was a carpenter and I could have wonderful coops, but the drinking was so bad it was better to say good by ! I miss the work he did, not him lol. Ok, I'm off time to get busy.

Love that coop, Doug! Looks like you put a lot of thought and time into it!

It's been snowing (but not sticking) all dang day here... I thought it was Spring!

Ok I admit it! I could not stand it! Went into Fleet Supply today for 2 truck batteries and ended up leaving with both baby turkey and chickens!
Then I ended up at Big R for something else and left with more baby chicks!

First step is to admit I am a chicken addict!

I am waiting for the gunies to come in next month.

Yes I want those chickens I was talking to Azirel about too!

Don't you just love spring?

ETA Sorry about my spelling I am not wearing my contacts or glasses.

Last edited:
I need day olds , my girl got off the eggs total and they were as cold as ice when I got home. She was on infertile eggs in another nest. :rolleyes: herferds, you crack me up. Anyone in Belgrade or that route have day olds?

Our nice rain Sunday left me with a foot of snow, and 3 foot drifts in the path to my barn. I'm glad I put hay out for the horses and cows on Saterday. Its already melting tho, and I think I can hear the grass growing.

Cold as blazes up here Azriel. Broke a low temp record.
Looked like most of the snow went south of us but we got enough to cover the winter wheat.

your family is lucky, seriously I have the biggest key stone cops around here, clowns the lot of them lol, not one knows how to wield a ha,mre, and my dad who is Spanish/Mexican does what we call Mexican things up. He does not measure he just cuts, then patches and then...... Oh man I can not tell you the bad jobs my dad has done over the years. Makes a person weep. Needless to say I have had to pay a high price for the coops I have had built, taken for a lot of money at times and count my lucky stars when I am lucky enough to find good folks to do a good job.
Case in point, my raised beds, I ave the guy lots of money to make my raised beds ( off the ground) he made one out of pallets and I scolded him as there made from different places and can be sprayed 5 different chemicals depending on what climate there going to. I got 4 good ones and a pelleted one paid for five got 4 I can use. Good news is, I'm planting grass in the pelleted one, only putting liner down so it's safe, adding good soil and adding grass, lettuces and so fourth and letting the chickens go nuts when it grows a certain height, then going to cover it until it grows again. Keeping them happy I hope all summer .
Paid a guy to build me a coop for mom in December, paid the first 200.00 as he said he needed some things . He never did produce a coop, and last month got my money back finally from his mommy.
My first coop the guy got paid and then stopped in mid stream and said he was done
roll.png
I had to have another guy finish it,
So you dear are a man to have around. My ex was a carpenter and I could have wonderful coops, but the drinking was so bad it was better to say good by ! I miss the work he did, not him lol. Ok, I'm off time to get busy.

That's so funny! I had a similar experience getting my raised beds going, but my boyfriend built them for me so I couldn't really "scold" his material choice of discarded railroad ties so much as gently explain why untreated lumber would be better, ha. I think that was the day his family labeled me the tree-hugger, but I stood firm and now my veggies are creosote-free. He did produce some very nice beds that are sunken into the ground about six inches to conserve water. He told me he'll be putting a coop together for me here shortly, I'll be sure to post a pic of what I end up with
fl.gif
(I'm just kidding he's pretty handy)

I like your chicken garden solution! I was going to suggest some flowers to bring in the pollinators!

I think we broke a low temp record also, I had 2" of ice on my stock tank and had to chop a hole in it to put the water heater back in, and had to plug the water heaters back in for the chickens. It might hit 40 today, I kept the chickens locked up for the last couple of days, the wind was so bad all the snow was blowing in my coop. I'll let them out today and see who is brave enough to go out in the snow. I am Sooo ready for spring/summer.

Checking in super quick- it's been so darn busy here!

Still no foal... I'm not sure what she's waiting for. Poor mare looks so big and miserable. We are pretty anxious for our first Cleveland Bay baby to be here!

Candled turkey eggs last night- looks like I have 12 that are still baking right along. They will be the first hatch in the new Reptipro, so this is a bit of a learning experience. The chicken eggs in the old styrofoam incubator are coming right along too- 30some little barnyard mix eggs. When I get these hatched I want to see about finding a few different specific breeds. I love the Speckled Sussex, but I'm so dang cheap I don't really want to pay for shipped eggs. Might have to keep a watch on craigslist and take a road trip around MT to find a variety of eggs for the next batch :)

Hope you all are doing well and staying warm- I got spoiled with the nice weather had before this nastiness showed up!

Back
Top Bottom