Montana

I have a broody sitting on 8 eggs, and should hatch around the 15th or 16th of this month. I checked the eggs this evening, and I am pretty sure that all are good except for one. Wouldn't it be wonderful to get all pullets???????????????
celebrate.gif

I have a broody sitting on 8 eggs, and should hatch around the 15th or 16th of this month. I checked the eggs this evening, and I am pretty sure that all are good except for one. Wouldn't it be wonderful to get all pullets???????????????
celebrate.gif

Is she staying in the nest all the time?  -- if she is, the roo shouldn't want to bother with her.  It takes 21 days to hatch out the eggs that are fertilized, so depending on what kind of coop set-up you have, you should go with that as far as timing.  The mama will keep her babies warm, but I personally wouldn't want to be hatching babies past September. 

Can't help you with the NN you have (not sure what breed that is?), but I would love to see a picture of your EE roo...........  he sounds pretty!

He is not sraying in her coop at all. She never goes in the coop except to sleep and lay her egg. When she is done she leaves and goes on about her day never going back in. I jist thought it was strange she has been pulling front feathers out of her. So I am mot sure. I do mot want chix right now going to be way to cold. Here is a picture of lewis

Finally have my girls aprons!!! I will not put any on until it gets a bit cooler. I got the ones with fleece so they will be warm this winter. Im excited just need to order 6 more. Yay

Still getting lots of eggs! Got one of my red Infrared bulbs (the 50W) from Amazon a couple of days ago and have it set up to come on in the evening as they are going into the coop, and in the morning when they are bunching up next to the coop door, hopefully to cut down on the pecking and loss of tail down and feathers on 4 of the birds. My white bulb just comes on in the early morning as supplemental lighting. Still waiting on the aprons, which should arrive any day. I think I have a BO trying to be broody now, she was on the nest all afternoon and was still there at nightfall. She growls when I scratch her back. Will have to read up on how to break the broodiness, I don't want that until March at least!

One of my lil girls is not eating her treats and she has runny stool. It seems as if she just goes without warning. She still is running and eat her normal food. She still talks to me she just is not feeling well. Going to seperate her tomorrow and give her medicine in her water bowl. Poor girl.

Seems the time of year for broody girls. I have an Australorp that is broody, I have been booting her out and today decided to put her out to free range. Since she is not laying (because she is broody) I don't worry about her needing the boxes. She was scaring the other girls a away from the boxes with her growling. I hope a couple days outside the fence should break her of it. I will put in at bed time after I cover the boxes so she is safe at bed time. I would LOVE roo have a broody momma but not eight now! This is my 3rd broody in two weeks. The most stubborn for sure. I collect the eggs right away is there any other way to discourage it from happening?

Well it worked. I just left her outside the run with her own food and water for the day, took her in at night ND out her on the roost. Next day, back to normal. Well, sorta. She has not laid again, but I am sure she will. I think I caught it fast enough... before her mind was set on it. Thanks for the thread, that should help in the future. :)

I am near Shelby in northcentral MT Love to know more poultry folks in MT.. We have bantams (mostly cochins), guineas (with several in the bator), and peafowl. I would love to talk peas with anyone in the state or southern Alberta. I am also planning to add some heritage chickens and some more uncommon ones. Is anyone raising orloffs, marans, swedish flower, buckeyes, or colored English orps? Also looking for some good standard/giant cochins....

Back
Top Bottom