Montana

That sounds completely logical to me.

1. I was really struggling with how to do the best for my birds during that. On the 2nd day, I put a heat lamp in my run, which is largely covered with plastic. I also didn't let them out into the yard for that week, or whatever it was. I have 3 neighbors with in about a 4 block area that have chickens. I noticed on the 2nd day of that cold snap that they had heat lamps in their coops. That's when I put mine up. I was not comfortable putting it in the actual coop, as I think it is too small to be safe. I screwed it to the framing in the covered portion of the run. It was by no means warm in there, but not quite so cold. The coop still got to -16 inside. I was so afraid I would have dead birds. Guess I just lucked out. Today I was out there for about 15 min with them. None of them sneezed or coughed. I was especially worried about "Buff". She is my cream & brown Aracauna/Easter egged or whatever along that line. She was in a moult....and pretty slim on the feathers.

You know, I should really check in with my chicken loving neighbors & see how theirs are. Love to get together with you & maybe that gal from Ulm to talk chickens. I've learned a lot, but there is still a TON to learn. I'm a nurse & have a few patients that have chickens, too. I talk chickens whenever I have the chance.....I think I'm infected! Lol. I will be insulating my coop this sat. I will also modify the ventilation situation. Have a great day.

1. I live out by Vaughn. I work in the lab in GF and the ladies think I'm a crazy chicken lady! My girls and I love our birds. We raise show quality bantams in Cochins, Salmon Faverolles, blue laced red Wyandotte, and d'Anvers. Is the lady from Ulm, Vickie? She's great and a wealth of knowledge. She helps the kids a lot in 4H. Anytime we go to a show, I always bring a list of questions for her and the judges.
    We have an insulated coop. I put up an oil heater this year for when it gets below zero to make sure we don't end up with frostbit combs on the show birds. They freerange most of the yr during nice days if they're not in breeding pens.
    Keep warm everyone!

I live out by Vaughn. I work in the lab in GF and the ladies think I'm a crazy chicken lady! My girls and I love our birds. We raise show quality bantams in Cochins, Salmon Faverolles, blue laced red Wyandotte, and d'Anvers. Is the lady from Ulm, Vickie? She's great and a wealth of knowledge. She helps the kids a lot in 4H. Anytime we go to a show, I always bring a list of questions for her and the judges.
We have an insulated coop. I put up an oil heater this year for when it gets below zero to make sure we don't end up with frostbit combs on the show birds. They freerange most of the yr during nice days if they're not in breeding pens.
Keep warm everyone!

Cool! I'm so happy to be meeting more not only MT people, but also GF people! My co workers call me that, too! I took some pics in to show to my patients (nurse), since I'm always talking about the chickens. Some of them even buy eggs from me! I wondered about those oil heaters, but my coop isn't very tall. I don't know the gal in Ulm, but I'd like to meet her. I am going to try to insulate my coop this weekend......and modify the venting. Have great days , everyone.

3BirdGirlz --- where you at the Poultry show that they had at the fairgrounds this past fall?

I'm looking for advice on trying to disinfect inside my coop -- if it doesn't snow this weekend & weather is decent, I'd like to lock them all outside for an hour or so while I do this -- what's the best thing to use that won't hurt them but get the job done? Anyone have any ideas?

3BirdGirlz --- where you at the Poultry show that they had at the fairgrounds this past fall?

I'm looking for advice on trying to disinfect inside my coop --  if it doesn't snow this weekend & weather is decent, I'd like to lock them all outside for an hour or so while I do this --  what's the best thing to use that won't hurt them but get the job done?  Anyone have any ideas?

Yes, we were at the show :)

I don't know what's best to use for chickens. Diluted bleech with water is good. I work in Microbiology in a lab....10% bleech with water is what we use for everything. Let it dry....we have no problems with it ever bothering our breathing, so I'm sure it'll be ok for chickens.
All other things I know to use, you'd have to rinse it with water afterwards.

Yes, we were at the show
smile.png

I don't know what's best to use for chickens. Diluted bleech with water is good. I work in Microbiology in a lab....10% bleech with water is what we use for everything. Let it dry....we have no problems with it ever bothering our breathing, so I'm sure it'll be ok for chickens.
All other things I know to use, you'd have to rinse it with water afterwards.

I think I may have met you at the show! I had another chicken person tell me last night to use 3 parts bleach to 5 parts water. Does that sound too strong?

Hope everyone is surviving this horrible cold weather we're having..........

I'm happy to say that I think the Nasty Bug has left my flock (!)... I ended up giving a round of 2 more med injections to 11 of them, as they just couldn't get rid of the bug -- I ended up losing 1 of those girls, several days before Christmas. They are doing well now ~~~ I am so thankful for good advice from my vet & people on the Montana/Wyoming Poultry Page on facebook!! So out of 40, I lost two hens.

Everyone stay warm!

Hi. I am glad you got rid of the bug! So far my girls & 1 rooster are doing good. I did have to eliminate my other rooster......as he was being a jerk! My gals are so much happier. Even with this cold they laid 7 eggs today. There are 12 of them. They have done 9 some days post Elvis.

I don't know if any of you are interested in doing a mt hatch along.....but I'm gonna try to have my BO hatch out some eggs in Feb. I've never done it before, but the kids want to too. My remaining rooster is a polish, so....

Happy new year everyone!

I'm gonna check out that mt/wy Facebook page.

Hi. I am glad you got rid of the bug! So far my girls & 1 rooster are doing good. I did have to eliminate my other rooster......as he was being a jerk! My gals are so much happier. Even with this cold they laid 7 eggs today. There are 12 of them. They have done 9 some days post Elvis.

I don't know if any of you are interested in doing a mt hatch along.....but I'm gonna try to have my BO hatch out some eggs in Feb. I've never done it before, but the kids want to too. My remaining rooster is a polish, so....

Happy new year everyone!

I'm gonna check out that mt/wy Facebook page.

So is your BO hen going broody already? Out of all the chickens I've had over 4 years, I've had 1 BO that went broody 2 summers ago ---- then I have a little banty that just does it all year round ... I've set eggs under her twice with great success, but in the spring or early summer.

I'm kinda hoping that one of my bigger girls will get that urge this spring, as I'd like to put a few eggs under her.

I have plans of getting about 15 new pullets in about April. I don't want to cull out any of my older gals -- I just hate doing that, but can't afford to keep feeding them if they aren't laying on a fairly consistent basis. I wish I knew someone who has a chicken retirement home that I could send them to!!

Back
Top Bottom