Montana

Well I'm about 2 hours West of Billings, Sout of Big Timber in the mountains...
1f60a.png

ChicnMama, your idea of breaking the wind with straw bales will also help. It is the wind, drafts, and humid air that nips their combs when it gets really frigid. If you can block the wind and provide enough ventilation to prevent condensation, I think they will be fine! After the fox attacks this spring, we only have 4 "winter veteran girls" left. 13 of our 17 will soon be experiencing their first snow, and winter! I do not plan to do anything different than I have done over the past two winters, which is to provide minimal heat to the uninsulated coop, reducing ventilation a little on the west wall, which faces the prevailing wind, providing water in the coop all winter, and also food in there when it gets so nasty they won't leave the coop! I made a 2-gallon feeder out of an old flower pot that I hang from their ceiling on the very inclement days. They definitely need more to eat on the cold days, but of course drink less. In the winter, even if it is only 10 or 20 out during the day, they still like to leave the coop and can access the feeder in the run. I have found that my chickens do not like walking too much on snow (can't really blame them!), so if it drifts in their run I shovel it out and put down some straw. Hope this helps!

Any of you Billings area peeps planning on new chicks this spring? Would like to order from a hatchery, but usually have to buy so many. Maybe a few of us could go in on an order? Let me know!
Cicknmama, we plan on trying something new this spring, buying an incubator and hatching some chicks! We have no luck with broody hens to date. I believe the incubator we are looking at from Shipton's can incubate 50 eggs, so if we fill it up we will have more chicks than we need, since we are only looking to add about a half dozen. One of my neighbors will be wanting some of them, as he is wanting to start a new flock. Our rooster is an Easter Egger, the rest of the flock is mixed, mostly BA's. But, we also have a New Hamshire, Easter Egger, White Rock, Speckled Sussex, and a beautiful Light Brahma. I am not sure, but the Easter Egger rooster mixed with the brown eggs layers may produce blue or green eggs and very colorful birds. Anyone, please correct me if I am wrong about this. Anyway, maybe we could work something out. I may be looking for good homes for some chicks, if you are interested.

ChicnMama, your idea of breaking the wind with straw bales will also help.  It is the wind, drafts, and humid air that nips their combs when it gets really frigid.  If you can block the wind and provide enough ventilation to prevent condensation, I think they will be fine!  After the fox attacks this spring, we only have 4 "winter veteran girls" left.  13 of our 17 will soon be experiencing their first snow, and winter!  I do not plan to do anything different than I have done over the past two winters, which is to provide minimal heat to the uninsulated coop, reducing ventilation a little on the west wall, which faces the prevailing wind, providing water in the coop all winter, and also food in there when it gets so nasty they won't leave the coop!  I made a 2-gallon feeder out of an old flower pot that I hang from their ceiling on the very inclement days.  They definitely need more to eat on the cold days, but of course drink less.  In the winter, even if it is only 10 or 20 out during the day, they still like to leave the coop and can access the feeder in the run.  I have found that my chickens do not like walking too much on snow (can't really blame them!), so if it drifts in their run I shovel it out and put down some straw.  Hope this helps!
I think we have enough ventilation so that should be fine. We are adding an 8x16 covered run. I plan on laying down straw in the run, but want to put up some kind of wimd break. Thought about shade cloth, but not sure how that would hold up. Any ideas? And yes, I would possibly be interested in some chicks. Sounds like a good mix of birds. Keep in touch with that. And thanks.

Hello Montanans! I'm in the northwest corner of the state, in Eureka. I've been reading BYC for a few months and just joined today. I've only owned chickens and ducks for six months and I absolutely love it. I foresee a lifetime of chicken raising
love.gif
because my peeps provide endless entertainment and joy. I've got two Buff Orpingtons, two White Orpingtons, two New Hampshire Reds, two Rouen ducks, five Indian Runners, and a Swedish Blue duck. Thank you for all the info provided on this site!

Hello Montanans! I'm in the northwest corner of the state, in Eureka. I've been reading BYC for a few months and just joined today. I've only owned chickens and ducks for six months and I absolutely love it. I foresee a lifetime of chicken raising :love because my peeps provide endless entertainment and joy. I've got two Buff Orpingtons, two White Orpingtons, two New Hampshire Reds, two Rouen ducks, five Indian Runners, and a Swedish Blue duck. Thank you for all the info provided on this site!
Welcome to BYC! I'm in the Southeastern part of the state!

Hello Montanans! I'm in the northwest corner of the state, in Eureka. I've been reading BYC for a few months and just joined today. I've only owned chickens and ducks for six months and I absolutely love it. I foresee a lifetime of chicken raising :love because my peeps provide endless entertainment and joy. I've got two Buff Orpingtons, two White Orpingtons, two New Hampshire Reds, two Rouen ducks, five Indian Runners, and a Swedish Blue duck. Thank you for all the info provided on this site!

Welcome, I live in the mid southern part of the state...... Big Timber. .... Rae

I have a question, what are all of you doing for water heaters? I have 2 5 gallon Buckets for water with nipples on the bottom.... I need to put heaters on them because we're getting real cold... Rae

You could try a small aquarium heater in the bucket and a heat tape for the line if it's not insulated. With the heater you can get a small cheap one for about $15 and it will regulate the temp at about 72degrees.

I have a question, what are all of you doing for water heaters? I have 2 5 gallon Buckets for water with nipples on the bottom.... I need to put heaters on them because we're getting real cold... Rae
I use a bucket heater. It works great because it sits close to the bottom of the bucket and keeps the nipples from freezing. I did go out one morning to find them stiff, but just wiggled them a little and they came loose easily. Works great!

Back
Top Bottom