Montana

When I built my first coop where I am at near Billings, I made a pole style building (my dad had a bunch of lodgepoles laying around) and then sandwiched styrafoam in the walls for insulation. Ventilation us on the north and south sides, and the window is an old recycled storm window from my dad's family homestead. If you use insulation, make sure it is well sealed up, because chickens love eating styrafoam and will get into the fiberglass. Old newspaper, straw, and other things like that can invite mice, but can work too.

When I built my first coop where I am at near Billings, I made a pole style building (my dad had a bunch of lodgepoles laying around) and then sandwiched styrafoam in the walls for insulation. Ventilation us on the north and south sides, and the window is an old recycled storm window from my dad's family homestead. If you use insulation, make sure it is well sealed up, because chickens love eating styrafoam and will get into the fiberglass. Old newspaper, straw, and other things like that can invite mice, but can work too.

That's good to know. I'll share with my husband and let him know. Thankyou.

Hey neighbor, spring I started a busy time. Getting everything ready for the ladies and the garden. Still waiting for the snow to melt in our back yard. Trying to figure our a cheap way of doing a green house. Can't do the seeds in house:( we have the ladies space cleared already. I'll check out the CHS. Thankyou. Do they have the grains as well. I was thinking of mixing my own. Got to do more research though.

CHS does have grains, I just bought a bag of barley for doing fodder. They also have bags of organic grains...the feed store is separate from the regular store...in a slightly different location...they have the pine shavings in compressed bags, etc etc. oyster shell...

Just thinking too a cheap way of doing a greenhouse might look like a "hoop coop" built from cattle panels and covered with heavy plastic....just search for hoop coop here...also an easy build....

Here's an example, use translucent plastic of course:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/aarts-hoop-coop-chicken-tractor

You won't need all the hardware cloth (except maybe on the ends) or predator panels or wheels...but it is a great description by @aart ! And I think it would work wonderfully for a greenhouse...

Last edited:
Just thinking too a cheap way of doing a greenhouse might look like a "hoop coop" built from cattle panels and covered with heavy plastic....just search for hoop coop here...also an easy build....

Here's an example, use translucent plastic of course:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/aarts-hoop-coop-chicken-tractor

You won't need all the hardware cloth (except maybe on the ends) or predator panels or wheels...but it is a great description by @aart ! And
I think it would work wonderfully for a greenhouse...
Was just thinking today of tossing a clear tarp on the half built hoop coop and using it as a greenhouse.

Was just thinking today of tossing a clear tarp on the half built hoop coop and using it as a greenhouse.

Great minds, @aart !
frow.gif
Maybe your tractor/hoop is a partial answer to the elusive Holy Grail of chicken coop plus greenhouse....seasonally at least,
lol.png
. Thanks for checking in on our lil Montana thread!

CHS does have grains, I just bought a bag of barley for doing fodder. They also have bags of organic grains...the feed store is separate from the regular store...in a slightly different location...they have the pine shavings in compressed bags, etc etc. oyster shell...

Oh nice.i so have to check them out. Isn't the feed place on center past the mall?

yes exactly if you head west on Center, past the mall, go past fifth (the light) and turn right just past the grain elevators. Park in loading dock if you like. Nice folks...

I have been there before. They are really nice and very informative. I went I for rabbit food at the time. So that was my focus at the time. I'll go in a check them out. Thankyou. I've read site we're people make their own mix of stuff so I'm excited to try that.

Back
Top Bottom