Montana

Good to know! Thank you guys for replying! My babies will be here in June. Very excited! I'll just keep a watch over them. Pretty sure the geese once fully grown will have no problem with magpies. They are little smaller than a crow & way smaller than a raven. No hawks might be a challenge here. But I think I'm prepared for them.

We are in N Central MT. The Magpies are not a threat to our chickens. We have a mobile run, the magpies will clean up any spills from the chicks. They "play " with the dogs and earlier this Summer one adopted the B&W long haired cat. She was not amused. One nesting pair has just fledged out 6 birds. We love watching them. The ravens here also play tag with the dogs (great fun, good exercise) but so far show zero interest in the poultry. Our coop and run are roofed so we really don't worry about the eagles and hawks. When the chicks are out, so am I and so are the dogs. that might help. Good luck!

Hi this is Miss Lydia asking for help for a young Magpie drake that was dumped in a yard in Helena Montana, this drake needs a great new home ASAP If you would be interested or know of anyone in the area who would like this drake please contact MamaDux a member here.

Thank you very much .

Hello! I recently moved to the Whitefish area with my husband, two dogs, and two Rhode Island Reds :) We are renting a place right now that happily has an awesome coop for them, but looking for home or a place to build! My little ladies were champs at moving. I took advice of many and just put them in a small dog crate. One girl started laying again right away, the other decided she'd go into a molt... Glad to be a part of the Montana BYC crowd!!

Hello! I recently moved to the Whitefish area with my husband, two dogs, and two Rhode Island Reds :) We are renting a place right now that happily has an awesome coop for them, but looking for home or a place to build! My little ladies were champs at moving. I took advice of many and just put them in a small dog crate. One girl started laying again right away, the other decided she'd go into a molt... Glad to be a part of the Montana BYC crowd!!
Welcome!

Welcome to Montana! The area around Whitefish is beautiful.

Hello and welcome to BYC. I'm just south of you in Kalispell.

Here's a question for experienced Montana Chickeneers:
Coop Insulation, yes or no?
What about "moisture blankets" (we use those in our bee hives, don't know if it's a good idea for the chickens)
I had chickens decades ago, they had full range of the property, no special accommodations for Winter, they did just fine.
I am so much younger now though, and sometimes feel our seasons give us greater extremes than back in the 70s.
The available info seems to stress ventilation as being paramount.
We'll use deep litter method going into the cold season. We will not use heat lamps but seed warming mats if needed.
Our current coop is not sufficient for cold weather, I am designing a new one. The mobile run could be tarped , but the wind will have something to say about that... your experiences? TIA

Insulation:No Heat:No
See my third thread down in sig. I experimented with this last winter as I was scared. Please add to thread if it helps.

If you are near Kalispell, you or anyone else can contact me here and maybe you could see setup. But there are lots of pics, folks...I was super freaked but hey...here we are in a nice toasty July and chickens are healthier than ever. Molt: Soon! lolol

Insulation:No Heat:No
See my third thread down in sig. I experimented with this last winter as I was scared. Please add to thread if it helps.

If you are near Kalispell, you or anyone else can contact me here and maybe you could see setup. But there are lots of pics, folks...I was super freaked but hey...here we are in a nice toasty July and chickens are healthier than ever. Molt: Soon! lolol

thanks for your response. I'll look at your post. We'll be doing a Flathead trip later in the Fall, maybe could see your set up then, but maybe not a good time. we'll see. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom