Montana

I also have several good looking cockerels. If they do not sell I will be eating them. I breed pure Legbars and Black Silver Marans, the Legbar cockerels are mostly Gold Crele. There are a few Blue Silver Marans cockerels. I still have many pullets available in both breeds. I also have SO MANY TURKEYS. I am in Lockwood.
There is one accidental cross cockerel. He would be interesting for any Easter egg project as he would be considered an olive egger if he were female. He carries one of everything: one blue egg gene, one white egg gene, one dark brown gene, and one no brown coating gene. He is barred and very striking, but dinner if nobody wants to buy.

I think 2 of my3 week old bearded silkie chicks are boys. I'm going to do a dna sex test on them to be sure. They're supposed to be show quality but I have no experience with showing. Wanted to check if any of you MT peeps would be interested? I'm in Butte.

Rehoming my two roosters!

Barnevelder rooster, 7 mos old
Super Blue Easter Egger rooster, 7 mos old
Both located in Helena, MT

Looking for new homes for my two roosters - we just bought a house in town so my two favorite boys won't make the cut due to noise ordinances.💔

Both are 7 months old. My white EE is a "Super Blue" from my pet chicken and is a bit more dominant than our spectacularly handsome Barnevelder who is more reserved. As top bird, our EE does a wonderful job of patrolling, watching the skies, and managing his ladies.

Both roosters have honestly been a delight to have and it's painful to part with them. They can be stand offish in their funny little struts but have never shown any aggression towards anyone in our family, our two dogs nor my young niece (though we also generally keep her away from the flock). When I'm able to catch the EE he even tolerates being held and pet for a brief period. The two boys get along really well, and respectfully share 8 hens without too much abuse to the hens. The roosters even actually seem to prefer roosting side by side in our coop so would love to see them go together.

Posting on BYC because I really want to them to go to a flock where they'll be taken care of, loved and useful, and not become someone's dinner 😞

PXL_20210722_005550565.MP.jpg
PXL_20210625_191344931.MP.jpg
PXL_20210817_013827177.MP~3.jpg
PXL_20210623_225306163.MP~2.jpg
(Barnevelder is 6 months old in this photo)

I have 2 silkie roos (dna confirmed) looking for a good home. Hatched 08/12. We're located in Butte.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210926-143602_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210926-143602_Gallery.jpg
    558.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20210926-143322_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210926-143322_Gallery.jpg
    513.7 KB · Views: 2
Montana specific question for you guys: After reading up on the dreaded scourge Coccidiosis, I’m wondering just how much a threat it is for rural Montana flocks.

Merck’s online veterinary manual indicates that the oocysts can’t survive freezing or extreme heat and moisture plays a significant role in the life cycle. Given our weather, specifically high plains desert in the south-central and -eastern part of the state, it doesn’t seem like such a threat if one exercises reasonable hygiene (closed or quarantined flocks, regular cleaning of occupied spaces).

If you’ve stuck with me so far, my question is how many Montanans here in BYC have dealt with coccodiosis?

Montana specific question for you guys: After reading up on the dreaded scourge Coccidiosis, I’m wondering just how much a threat it is for rural Montana flocks.

Merck’s online veterinary manual indicates that the oocysts can’t survive freezing or extreme heat and moisture plays a significant role in the life cycle. Given our weather, specifically high plains desert in the south-central and -eastern part of the state, it doesn’t seem like such a threat if one exercises reasonable hygiene (closed or quarantined flocks, regular cleaning of occupied spaces).

If you’ve stuck with me so far, my question is how many Montanans here in BYC have dealt with coccodiosis?
I'm very certain that I have dealt with it with broody raised chicks. Haven't had problems with brooder raised though

Back
Top Bottom