Montana

Pics
Had the baby Australorps out for their first time today. They had a great game of worm keep away. We kept feeding them more an more worms until they wouldn't eat any more.
Took the video with my cell phone so the quality is pretty low but we had a blast playing with the chickies!

Awww I bet it's adorable! I wanted to give my birds worms, but read night crawlers from a store can gut bomb then with parasites . Where did you get the worms! Video we need video!
One of the chicks must be a cochin , feathers on the legs and feet? Anyone anyone? Do Cochins only have the fathers on the ledges and feet? Will my chick retain the color it has now or totally change? I feel like a first time parent lol, I'm thinking blue or splash Cochin. Are these good layer, not to be picky, but yeah I'm looking for good egg layers.

Last edited:
I adore feathered legs - absolutely adore them. I've never had a Cochin so I can't say how the feathering presents on those birds, but by the picture that chick would have perfectly feathered legs if it were a Marans.

Where did you get the worms! Video we need video!

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We just dug the worms from the yard, we have tons! I never really thought much about whether the worms from the store being loaded with parasites. We have fed those before too if we have them left over from fishing. I did post a video, did it show up?[/FONT]

I know it is getting a bit late in the season, but is anyone in the SW Montana area considering ordering turkey poults from one of the hatcheries? I would love to get some, but I don't need 15 turkeys! I would love to split an order with someone if anybody is interested.

I adore feathered legs - absolutely adore them.  I've never had a Cochin so I can't say how the feathering presents on those birds, but by the picture that chick would have perfectly feathered legs if it were a Marans.  
ot sure what it is, I guess we will see lol, mom wants the birds, I pray there not both boys she wants a few birds to love on.

Where did you get the worms! Video we need video! We just dug the worms from the yard, we have tons! I never really thought much about whether the worms from the store being loaded with parasites. We have fed those before too if we have them left over from fishing. I did post a video, did it show up? I know it is getting a bit late in the season, but is anyone in the SW Montana area considering ordering turkey poults from one of the hatcheries? I would love to get some, but I don't need 15 turkeys! I would love to split an order with someone if anybody is interested.
I do not see a video, but I'm always using my iPad lol. We get the dried worms for the chickens,cRe also give them fresh meal worms. Wish I could have turkeys, but alas I am only a city girl with a back yard lol Today we got our coop worked on, it looks so huge now! It's going to be wonderful! So much room for my girls now, I can not believe it! And a new electric pop door, and the egg box will be inside and a door opening on the outside to retrieve the eggs. They will finish up on it tomorrow and we will paint it this weekend, then onto my pen, it will be bigger and. I will be filling it with fresh sand. My girls were so confused today, they did not like strangers in there yard and when they worked on the coop they tried to escape in the hedges getting tangled up. We needed up blocking them in the pen, but they were frazzled all day and we had a heck of a time keeping them in the coop tonight. They were afraid so kept running back out. I have plenty of room for my rhode island reds! I'm even putting mama and her babies in the pen in a few days, in her hutch that is, but there is room now!

OK Karla - so that super pretty one is one of the 6 birds (out of 78) that I can not decide what gender it is. What do you think? Anyone else have an opinion? 11 week old cross breed. I was thinking boy because I thought I saw the tell tale shoulder coloration coming in, but then the wing tips began to color in the same as the shoulder, so now I just don't know.

Last edited:
If it does turn out to be a he, what do you think of this girl instead? She seems to be a RIR crossed with Ameraucana. I think her muff and beard is very cute and I like it that her comb is coming in pea. ignore the black chicken in the front....

If it does turn out to be a he, what do you think of this girl instead?  She seems to be a RIR crossed with Ameraucana.  I think her muff and beard is very cute and I like it that her comb is coming in pea.   ignore the black chicken in the front....

I think that is a boy, look how big the legs are, I was thinking that several weeks ago, that the legs look big lol. Oh I'm sure loving the RIR with the muffs she is beautiful ! What color eggs do you think she will lay? I Like her! I'm excited about my girls, and am preparing for them to have a nice coop. I want the RIR / Americana! The kids liked her to. My money is on the other being a boy lol thank you so much for the pictures, I was so looking forward to seeing the girls!

Back
Top Bottom