Month Old Chick with Crossed Beak

fuzz

Songster
12 Years
Aug 4, 2007
Ohio
Its not very severe right now but he does have a crossed beak as they are not aligned like the rest of the chicks. He is a little smaller than the others but is eating fine. I just noticed this yesterday and I remember threads about the crossed beak living almost normal lives. He is almost a month and I can't believe that my first 4 chicks, one of them has this. I didnt think it was very common. I understand I can shave it but is there anyway to help with this if you find it young? I refuse to put him down as he is a sweetheart and I did notice he couldnt chirp until a few days ago. It was wierd. I am just paranoid and these 4 chicks had better make it.

yippiechickie.gif

Its 1am so I cant go out and take a picture but if you want an example put out both of your hands flat and put one hand on top of each other. Move the hand on the bottom left and thats what his beak is doing. Its not upward they are not curved yet but its just not aligned like the other chicks.

Do they need special treatment, feed, etc?

It is refreshing to hear that you want to keep him alive. There are so many people who want to kill a chick just because of a crooked beak. There is always hope. We have one hen with this and has never had a problem with it. We have never had to trim her beak. One day I noticed it was getting a little long and then a few days later, the tip had snapped off itself
hu.gif
I assume it is because they free range and use their beaks a lot more. All you have to do for them is hang there food and water containers up in the air so that they can scoop it up in their bottom beak. When we feed them any treats, I just hand feed Penelope. She has always been happy as a clam and now she is nesting
big_smile.png
It was sort of sad because she tried to peck me when I reached under her belly and it didn't hurt at all
sad.png
Poor thing, she is trying to be a good mama
hugs.gif
Here is a picture of Penelope.

9400_img_2449.jpg

Last edited:
Gorgeous Chicken. I have a rather large pen for them with lots of rocks. His is not as long but the bottom is doing that. Its not bad enough that he is having a problem picking for food yet.

I think this makes him/her all the more special and makes me want to cuddle him/her more.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom