Month old chicks acting motherly

Sc10675

Hatching
May 4, 2023
I had a single bantam chick hatch and was declining fast so bought two 1 week old chicks from store and put with bantam. Within minutes bantam was eating and drinking and has been doing great since. Noticed from next day on the bantam trying to go under older chicks and when reaching in bin they will block and back bantam into corner as to protect it. Have added more chicks in as well and seems they are just being treated as mother hens. Is this an early sign of them actually being hens?

I had a single bantam chick hatch and was declining fast so bought two 1 week old chicks from store and put with bantam. Within minutes bantam was eating and drinking and has been doing great since. Noticed from next day on the bantam trying to go under older chicks and when reaching in bin they will block and back bantam into corner as to protect it. Have added more chicks in as well and seems they are just being treated as mother hens. Is this an early sign of them actually being hens?
Not sure, but mine did this and were hens. (They grew out it.) I don’t think it means anything though.

My little 4-5ish week old silkie cockerel and d’uccle pullet (hopefully) does the same with the two chicks that are about 2 weeks old. They let the chicks get under them and show them the food and water, dust bath. I’m not sure it indicates sex of the older chicks but I do feel like it’s a good indication of personality maybe 🤷🏻‍♀️.

Back
Top Bottom